Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer

/ Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer #21  
That is a really ugly way to mount the valve to the cylinder. Not only does it rely on tapered fittings lining up properly it is the sole support for the valve. Getting the valve in the proper position without over/under tight on one side or the other is difficult plus vibration is your enemy of a joint like this.
If it were me, I would try to put NPT to JIC adapters in the valve and the cylinder and use a JIC to JIC coupler in between. Then make a bracket to mount the valve on using the mounting holes on the valve as they were intended. I would also convert the rigid pipe to the other end of the cylinder to a JIC hose setup. All of this will take some work but it will be serviceable in the future and have a longer life. Except for hoses, but they are easier and cheaper to replace than cylinders and valves.
Worth what ya paid for it...

/ Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer #22  
Those are tapered pipe threads. The culprit nipple is probably a standard pipe nipple. Even a schedule 80 is not rated for hydraulic pressures. The proper nipple is one made of forged steel. They often have hex wrench flats to keep from using a pipe wrench on it. A forged nipple has the structural strength to support the valve as long as it is kept short. Look at item 9-5404 in the Surplus Center Catalog available on -line. Any of the joint compounds mentioned above work. Never use Teflon tape. Never get any of the compounds past the first thread.

Ron

/ Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer
Those are tapered pipe threads. The culprit nipple is probably a standard pipe nipple. Even a schedule 80 is not rated for hydraulic pressures. The proper nipple is one made of forged steel. They often have hex wrench flats to keep from using a pipe wrench on it. A forged nipple has the structural strength to support the valve as long as it is kept short. Look at item 9-5404 in the Surplus Center Catalog available on -line. Any of the joint compounds mentioned above work. Never use Teflon tape. Never get any of the compounds past the first thread.

Ron
To short.... Need at least 3 inch nipple, would have to use two and a coupler to gain needed space...

Two 9-5404-8-8 and one 9-5000-8-8 would give me the distance I need BUT it just add two more potential leak points/failure points....

And I was mistaken when I mentioned a schedule 80 nipple, the new nipple I have in my possession is 1/2 X 3 inch Schedule 160 (seamless steel)

Lets get back on track.....

For what it's worth a little back ground, this splitter is 30 years old, I bough it with a blown B&S motor and two bad tires...

I have replaced motor.
I have replaces hydraulic hoses.
I have replaced wheels and tires.
I have new 1/2 X 3 inch NPT nipple (schedule 160) to go between cylinder and valve.
I have new control valve on order.

All I want do is restore this to like it was when originally manufactured (without the leak)...

What bothers me is its been abused by some one else in it early life, and my concern is if I can get old nipple out of cylinder, can I get a sealing compound that will insure I can get a leak free connection to new valve provided I can get sealant applied properly to "connection", and new nipple properly tightened...

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer #24  
I have used both Teflon paste and loctite. Just be careful not to over tighten and crack the valve casting. Do not ask how I know this can happen
You must have forgotten the "tighten it until it breaks but stop just before" rule.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer #25  
As others have suggested, Loctite 545 Pneumatic / Hydraulic sealant is the best, but the Loctite 567 is more of a general purpose sealant and works well, but has fillers that could get into the oil if too much is used. For a wood splitter it probably wouldn't matter, but if you were using a servo valve, the contamination could cause big problems. There is also a company that makes an equivalent material called Vibra-tite 440 which is about half the price of Loctite 545 and is made in Michigan which also works well.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Thread Sealer #26