Oil & Fuel Hydraulic Fluid Choice

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
My manual for my 1538 lists a few "approved" fluids but no standard, weight, spec etc.
I have found the Chevron 1000 THF locally and was leaning that way. I asked about the THF in the general section and I didn't find anyone who has had issues with it.
Just verifying that the Chevron 1000 THF has been good with my Mahindra friends before I purchase enough for the apocalypse.
BTW my local supplier has the Chevron 1000 THF for $52/5gal out the door. I also know about, and have used, Amsoil- not an option for me at this point.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #2  
tscfluid.jpg

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice
No local Tractor Supply near me......

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #4  

Not saying Tractor Supply stuff is worse than the rest. I change my first fluids using it and that was a mistake. We have had some sub zero weather, and just to see if my Max28 started, I fired it up to push some poop. The power steering was starving for oil the first few minutes and the hydraulic were super slow, until the oil got a bit of heat in it.

I spent $600 on royal purple hydraulic fluid for my L39, so next change Royal Purple will go in the Max. At least the Max will only need 5 Gallons

Amazon.com: Royal Purple 117 Syntractor III Universal Tractor Fluid - 5 gal.: Automotive

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #5  
We have sub zero weather too and although the hydraulics are a little 'sluggish' for a couple of minutes, by the time I actually move the machine after starting, all is well. It's no more or less than I'd expect at sub zero temps from any oil. I considered synth oil but I just couldn't justify the cost.

If you can justify it, I'm good with that. I put synth oil in all my engines, but the synth hydro oil is way out of line price wise, imho.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #6  
I use the same TSC Traveller premium stuff in my 1538. So far so good. Unless I see a reason not to I'll continue using it.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #7  
TSC Traveller Premium works great in my 4025, however I do not have to deal with many sub-freezing days here. The synthetic stuff I am sure is good or even better but the same goes for me on the price of it. I think any oil in freezing or sub-freezing temps should be allowed to warm up first before operating. My manual if I remember correctly says not to operate the hydraulics for the few minutes as it is hard on the pump itself. If I am wrong on this someone please correct me. As far as the power steering being starved for oil,,, my power steering has a separate system than the hydraulics and uses hydraulic oil. Not sure if the 1538 is the same or not.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice #8  
The fact that the TSC stuff has as many comparable fluids listed that it meets. It goes to show there is really not much difference in the specs of any of them. Except the price of course, for the name brands.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Choice
Thanks for the info. With no TSC near me I'll stick with the Chevron. It's good to know that if I'm having issues the full synthetic can help.