Hydraulic Fluid Level.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Level. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
A note on something I've recently learned:

Checking the level of hydraulic fluid in my Kubota L5740 has always been a chore. I struggle to see how much is on the dipstick. I shine a light and check 3 or 50 times.

Today I checked it and could easily see the level.

The difference? I didn't wipe the stick and then dip to check.

My old way was to pull the stick, wipe it, insert and immediately remove to check. I realized that waiting a minute or two makes it easier to see the level on the dipstick.

I hope I'm onto something as this has been an issue for me for many years. I read somewhere that some companies (JD?) have a dye to make it easier to see.

Perhaps waiting a few minutes before pulling the stick out to check will solve the problem. Time will tell.

Such a simple thing that has annoyed me for many years. Anybody else share this frustration?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Level. #2  
Some Kubota tractors do use a dip stick. Newer ones have a sight gauge. It's kind of hard to see the clear hydraulic fluid level through the clear window. A flashlight helps. John Deere does make a dye to add to the fluid. I checked with Kubota on it and got kind of a non answer regarding warranty. They said the warranty would not cover any damage which may have been caused by the use of this dye. I'm playing it safe and living with my sight gauge window.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Level. #3  
Yup. Half a jar (spoon full) of red JD dye makes a L3200 super clear SUDT2 hydraulic oil look like ATF. Was almost required for that sight glass. Went to go use the last half of the jar years later on my L4060 (sane reasons, only it has a dipstick) & the jar was dried out.

Buy John Deere MT3668 Hydraulic Oil Dye| hartvilletool.com

/ Hydraulic Fluid Level. #4  
I've never had a problem reading the dipstick on my M6040. I'm sure it has to do with the "finish" on the dipstick. The last two inches on the dipstick has a sandblasted texture and makes reading easy.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Level. #5  
Plastic round dipstick on the B26 was particularly hard to read. Moulded rings to indicate level range. Used a belt sander to grind a small flat along the length makes it now easier to read.