Hydraulic hose and fitting questions

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Greetings All,
I am very close to installing the power steering cylinder retrofit on my Yanmar YM2310 tractor. I have done almost all of the machining, the only parts left to machine only require holes to be drilled. So I need to order hoses. I have several options. I can go to the local NAPA store and have some made up but they are expensive and in the past have done shoddy work. I can also order online. This is the least expensive option. I can also buy some bulk hose and some re-usable fittings. I am now leaning towards the last option even though it will cost about 1.5 times as much as ordering online. But the convenience factor and the ability to make changes at the last minute seems like the extra cost would be worth it.

I have used these re-usable fittings before on my backhoe and when I worked in a lumbermill so I know how to properly install them. Besides making sure they are properly installed are there any drawbacks to re-usable fittings?

Hose types is another question I have. I see fittings for 2 wire hose and one wire hose. Is there a reason to buy one type over another? The hydraulic pressure in my tractor is below 3000 PSI. It may even be less than 2000 PSI. So 5000 PSI rated hose is not needed. Is 2 wire more durable than 1 wire? Is 2 wire stiffer?

That's all I can think of for now but I want to order the hose soon so I will be checking for answers soon also.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions #2  
I have used these re-usable fittings before on my backhoe and when I worked in a lumbermill so I know how to properly install them. Besides making sure they are properly installed are there any drawbacks to re-usable fittings?
You have to get the right hose to use with the fitting, so order them at the same time. They're also longer, so if you're in a tight space that could be a problem.

Hose types is another question I have. I see fittings for 2 wire hose and one wire hose. Is there a reason to buy one type over another? The hydraulic pressure in my tractor is below 3000 PSI. It may even be less than 2000 PSI. So 5000 PSI rated hose is not needed. Is 2 wire more durable than 1 wire? Is 2 wire stiffer?
Single is a little more flexible, but unless you really need that flexibility I'd use 2 wire. It lasts longer if it's outside in the weather and in motion and getting rubbed all the time like on a loader arm. I kind of think of single wire as used on older tractors that operated at lower pressures, but modern tractors are all 2000psi and up.

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions #3  
You should be able to find the bend radius for hoses in their specs. I will assume 2 wire hose to be stiffer and have larger bend radius.
The only drawback to reusable fittings I see is the cost.
I like the being able to change the hose length you would get doing it yourself. Sometimes 3/4" longer or shorter makes a difference in how the hose routes.

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions #4  
Contrary to popular belief most hydraulic hose fittings are reusable. Here’s a new hose with old fittings. I only had to buy new collars for $10 each vs $50-60 for an end. Although that’s really only a viable for larger hoses. Tractor FEL size ends are too cheap to bother.
IMG_1892.JPG

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions
You have to get the right hose to use with the fitting, so order them at the same time. They're also longer, so if you're in a tight space that could be a problem.

Single is a little more flexible, but unless you really need that flexibility I'd use 2 wire. It lasts longer if it's outside in the weather and in motion and getting rubbed all the time like on a loader arm. I kind of think of single wire as used on older tractors that operated at lower pressures, but modern tractors are all 2000psi and up.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like 2 wire is the best choice for me. I do need some flex but the hose can be routed to supply it. The longer length of the re-usable fittings is something I had already considered and it looks like there is plenty of room.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Hydraulic hose and fitting questions #6  
There are different bend radius for the 2 wire, you can spend a little more and get 2wire that had a bend radius close to the 1wire.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app