Hydraulic hose covering

/ Hydraulic hose covering #1  

DonRybak

Gold Member
Tractor
RK37HC
I've noticed recently that the fabric sleeve covering the hydraulic hoses from the control valve up between the loader and cabin is losing it's battle with the hot FL sun. It's just falling apart. My question is if there's any sense in replacing it? Seems that if replaced with another OEM one it'll just deteriorate too. Not sure what purpose the sheath serves other than maybe preventing wear on the hoses from the cabin. Can't be to protect the hoses from the sun since the last few feet of hoses are not covered. I had a thought that a better option than another OEM one would be to drop by the fire department and see if that have any old hoses they are throwing out and get a section on that to slide over. Any thoughts as to if I just use tie straps to keep them from rubbing and disregard the sleeve? Thanks.......

/ Hydraulic hose covering #2  
I wonder the same thing. Mine is fraying on the bottom but I think that is from it rubbing against the tire when I make a sharp turn. Do the actual rubber hoses deteriorate quickly in the sun? Would the covering help shade the hoses?

/ Hydraulic hose covering #3  
After loosing most all the hoses on my Kenbota to the South Texas sun, I covered them all when I replaced them. Central Florida can't be much different. The covering is cheaper than hoses. ;)

/ Hydraulic hose covering #4  
After loosing most all the hoses on my Kenbota to the South Texas sun, I covered them all when I replaced them. Central Florida can't be much different. The covering is cheaper than hoses. ;)
What did you cover them with ?

/ Hydraulic hose covering #5  

/ Hydraulic hose covering #7  
If the sun has rotted out the sleeves/covers, that means (to me at least) that they have prevented the damage from getting to the actual hoses (not as extensive, of course).

I would replace them. Not a big deal if you don't, but might as well

/ Hydraulic hose covering #8  
In addition to providing UV and abrasion damage, these sleeves protect you from pinhole hydraulic oil leaks which can be a serious injection hazard.

/ Hydraulic hose covering
Thanks for the replies. The existing sleeve is largest enough that all four hoses pass through it. I didn't see any on those links that were that large in diameter but they could be done individually or two per sleeve. Seems odd that the existing sleeve only covers about 3/4 of the length of the 4 hoses and none of the shorter ones by the bucket are covered. Thanks again for the replies and links..............

/ Hydraulic hose covering #10  
If U can get some fire hose like used in many commercial buildings it makes good protection sleeves.
Usually it is 1 1/4 inch hose and is mandated to be changed @ 5 years.
Great abrasion protection.