Hydraulic leak - Newbie question

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #1  

MikeOConnor

Silver Member
Tractor
Two Power-Trac 1850s (preferred for mowing and grapple-bucket clearing type work on really steep hills). Kubota M680 for snowblowing, grading, bucket.
I've developed what I hope is a minor leak at the place where the hose meets the cylinder on the gizmo that locks the implement in place. Not a real big deal, since it's only under pressure when you're actually locking or unlocking. But I decided to get in there and see what was going on.

Sure enough, things are a little loose. So I decided to tighten things up -- but I don't know which way is tight. I thought I'd ask you guys rather than taking the whole thing apart.

I've attached a picture of the offending connection. Here's the question; should I be taking the Hose Side nut *away* from the Cylinder Side nut, or should i be trying to draw those two nuts together? I'm having trouble figuring out what that part of the connection is doing.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Connection.jpg
    Connection.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 163
   / Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #3  
But seriously, I would hold the cylinder side in place and tighten the hose side. Here's why... it looks like there are threads to the left of the hose side nut. If you turn the hose side nut, you may loosen that threaded side.

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #4  
Where he is pointing to the leak, there is no tightening that will resolve this. To me it appears that the crimped end of the hose is defective. The part of the hose that you tighten to the cylinder (marked with the 44) is tight, and the other hex is just to keep the hose from twisting when you tighten the upper part. I don't see how any more tightening of the upper nut will do anything, and the lower one has a seal inside that is leaking. It doesn't have any threads to it. Just my opinion.
Dusty

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #5  
If the leak is truely at where you are pointing, it's at the swivel. There is no way to fix that. You will have to replace the crimped fitting on the hose with a new swivel fitting. That means a new hose.

You could try and tighten the fitting to see if that would help but I doubt it.

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #6  
Mine has leaked there too and it just needed the nut tightened.

Phil

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #7  
It's certainly worth a try to see if tightening will stop the leak. Tightening the connection pulls the beveled, male end of the fitting up tight and square against the beveled female coupling on the end of the hose.

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #8  
If it's a JIC fitting tightening it up may make the seal better. However, if it's an NPT fitting then tightening will probably not help.

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question
Which gets me back to the original question -- which way is tight? Do I want to make the two nuts further apart, or closer together?

/ Hydraulic leak - Newbie question #10  
Put a wrench on both nuts. Push up on the cylinder side nut to hold it in place and push down on the hose nut to tighten. If the hose nut doesn't turn. Hold it in place and tighten the cylinder side nut. If your leak doesn't stop after tightening you will need a new hose.