Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use?

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
I now have a few implements with hydraulic hoses, with some obvious abrasion points. I can reduce most of it with creative tiewrap use, but there will still be some areas that will be more prone to rubbing/wear and tear. What do you use to protect your hoses? Nylon tube sleeve, plastic spiral wrap, velcro sleeves?

I would rather get a solution that allows me to protect the hoses still attached (less mess), but will consider all options.

The loader hoses on my Kioti have a nice nylon velcro sleeve, but it is a bit low on coverage and is already fraying. Ideally I would find another source and overlap the oem sleeve (basically warps all 4 hoses) with another nylon velcro sleeve, increasing coverage and doubling up on the "fraying point".

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #2  
I use the heavy duty plastic spiral wrap you can put it on with out taking the hoses off. It can be a pain in the butt to do sometimes...

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #3  
   / Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #4  
For an area where the three point hydraulic hoses come up over the back -behind the seat - and were exposed to slight wear, I used a foam pipe insulator sleeve. This will do nothing to fix any abrasions but can serve to protect them a bit from getting the abrasions. Where one of those hoses was getting hooked up on the gannon box, when it was raised on a certain angle to engage the scarifiers, I used a bungie core to keep it out of the way- likely I need to rethink why it was getting hooked up in the first place.

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use?
   / Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #6  
I used the heavy duty plastic spiral wrap. It IS a PITA to get started. After that it's just a matter of finger strength. It does do a good job and should last forever. I used it on my grapple hoses and my rear blade hoses.

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #7  
ON my Log splitter I used nylon sleeve.... Mainly for protection from UV and aging because it sits out in weather...

Get a length longer than you think you will need, bends in hose take up 3-6 inches of sleeve at each bend....

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #8  
This looks like a good fit for me, and the price is reasonable too (although I will brace for the standard Canadian upcharge).
Princess Auto sells it in black for $45 for 25' (1" diameter). They also sells the sleeve type for cheaper if you can disconnect the hose.

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use?
Princess Auto sells it in black for $45 for 25' (1" diameter). They also sells the sleeve type for cheaper if you can disconnect the hose.
Are the edges of the spiral rounded? Unclear from the picture. I have seen some that have square edges (looks like someone just spiralled a pipe), they can actually chaffe the hose.

/ Hydraulic line sleeve/abrasion protection : what do you use? #10  
The plastic one I posted, does have rounded edges. They also sell it in different sizes and colors...no way it would chaffee anything. It’s easy enough to cut to length, but I would recommend cutting it to length after it’s on.