Hydraulic Line Swivel?

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
Hi, I recently had a LandPride grapple installed on my new tractor. Among other things, the lines from the couplers mounted on the FEL and going to the grapple were too long. Today I had them shortened 12" but now have another issue. Unfortunately I didn't even think about this, but when the shop crimped on the new 45* fittings they ended up pointing almost 180 degrees from where there need to be. Obviously I can move the 45* connectors a little, 3-4 o'clock position etc. , however the fittings face up vs down before connection now and when I connect them they are under a lot of twist. See the overall pic below, the lines won't lay together because they are being twisted and are under tension. Other than cutting them off and starting over, is there any type of swivel I can put between the grapple fitting the hoses that will allow the hose to twist radially? Or are there new 45* fittings I can have crimped on that also have a radial swivel? thanks

sA5KDK.jpg

xOiCIX.jpg

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel? #2  
That can be a tricky situation. You do need plenty of slack, especially for full rotation (or dump) with the loader all the way up. Live swivels (swivels under pressure) are pretty pricy and I'm not sure if they would "twist" under pressure before your lines do as pictured, weakest link type of thing. If both lines would lay like the one on the right that would be perfect. It liiks like JIC fittings on the grapple and they will tighten with your line in any position and If JIC, just play with the one line to "clock" it around so they lay together.

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel?
The position of the loader up or down has no bearing on this. This is a concern between the couplers mounted to the FEL and the grapple. The pics show the grapple fully curled under and extended,. I still have plenty of service loop in the hoses even after having 12" removed. The issue is that the hoses are twisted radially now. if I remove the bottom fittings to the grapple, the 45* connectors pop straight up (or more) and I have to twist them down to make the connection pulling a lot of tension on everything. thanks

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel? #4  
The problem as i see it is more at the other end. Had they used a straight fitting on the hose and a 90 degree fitting to the QD you could clock the hose / elbow connection any way needed to make the hose and 45 degree fitting lay right. I always avoid making hoses with two angled crimp fittings. There is simply no forgiveness.

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel? #5  
I think the 90 degree fittings on couplers are wrong. Replace with 90's that have female swivels for hose connections.

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel?
The problem as i see it is more at the other end. Had they used a straight fitting on the hose and a 90 degree fitting to the QD you could clock the hose / elbow connection any way needed to make the hose and 45 degree fitting lay right. I always avoid making hoses with two angled crimp fittings. There is simply no forgiveness.

I don't disagree, the problem is that where they welded the mounting tab to the FEL tube puts the connectors fairly close to the grapple when it's rolled all the way back. Replacing the 90* fitting with straight, the hoses would likely contact the grapple at that point with the grapple rolled back, so I'm trying to keep the 90*. I believe I still have enough service loop to cut the 45* connectors off and install a 2-way swivel if there is one, like this:
2ATFJu.jpg

In its present configuration it needs a radial swivel on one of the ends to relieve the tension.

It's going to feel really good when the beating stops on this new tractor...

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel?
I think the 90 degree fittings on couplers are wrong. Replace with 90's that have female swivels for hose connections.

Those 90's connectors do swivel, right now that are pointing to ~4 o'clock but easily move .

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel?
I hate to introduce additional points of failure, but even an in-line swivel on each hose would work, if there is one. thanks all

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel? #9  
I don't disagree, the problem is that where they welded the mounting tab to the FEL tube puts the connectors fairly close to the grapple when it's rolled all the way back. Replacing the 90* fitting with straight, the hoses would likely contact the grapple at that point with the grapple rolled back, so I'm trying to keep the 90*. I believe I still have enough service loop to cut the 45* connectors off and install a 2-way swivel if there is one, like this:
2ATFJu.jpg

In its present configuration it needs a radial swivel on one of the ends to relieve the tension.

It's going to feel really good when the beating stops on this new tractor...

I did not suggest removing the 90s. I said the hose should have a straight fitting crimped on and a separate 90 degree fitting be used to attach the QD to the hose. That will allow you to clock the hoses so they lay flat and together when tpyour 45 degree fittings are oriented the way you need them. I would not put swivels where you indicate. They provide no advantage.

/ Hydraulic Line Swivel?
Gotcha, even better would be a straight swivel fitting crimped on to the hose attaching to the separate 90* fitting at the QD. thank you......