Hydraulic Pressure Releaser

/ Hydraulic Pressure Releaser #11  
For others that have to release pressure off hydraulic hoses, this works great, and is easy to fabricate.
1- Start with a female hydraulic fitting, with female pipe threads. I used an old one from the junk pile.
2- Take it apart, remove the internals, saving the spring, balls, collar, and retainer ring that keeps the collar on.
3- Weld a 3/8 nut into the pipe threaded area.
4- Weld a handle on it (see pic).
5- Fashion a tee bolt out of a threaded rod or bolt. Add 2 nuts to the threaded portion to be used later.
6- Drill a hole in the side opposite the handle, for the release oil to escape.
7- Re-install the balls, spring, collar, and retaining ring.

A- Back the tee bolt out some.
B- Attach the hose into this "releaser".
C- Point the release hole away from you.
D- Turn the tee bolt in until you release the pressure. SLOWLY. Just far enough to release the pressure.
E- Set the nuts in position, jamming them against each other, so in the future you don't over tighten the tee bolt, as you can overdo it and damage the good hose end.
F- Back the tee bolt out a little , remove the hose end from the "releaser", and carry on with your day.

The pictures are not mine, but built mine exactly like this, except added the jam nuts. To give due credit, the pictures were taken by a man named Troy Mattern.

View attachment 466868View attachment 466870

I made one very similar and keep in the tool box on the tractor.

/ Hydraulic Pressure Releaser #12  
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

/ Hydraulic Pressure Releaser #13  
One thing I did different , was instead of welding a nut in the end for the bolt, I used a 1/2” x 1/4” NPT bushing and drilled and tapped the 1/4” hole to fit a 1/2” bolt in. This allowed for removal if for some reason it’s needed and a no welding required. Also my “Handle” is the drain tube.

/ Hydraulic Pressure Releaser #15  
Here is a inline that is available , no need to keep up with a tool, installs in the hydraulic line.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/pressure-relief-valve

IMG_0271.JPG