Hydraulic problem

/ Hydraulic problem #1  

Clint199

Tractor
JD 4500 w 460 loader and MF 230
I have a MF 230. Attached selector switch block to hydraulic block just under right side of seat.Added and modified a loader to fit and ran all new hoses and fittings and new Cross brand spool valve with 2 spools +aux out. Fired it up and pulled back on spool handles. Cylinders extended. Now to my problem. When I try to retract the cylinders I get nothing. Now my bucket is up and dumped but won’t come down. Tried to bleed all the cylinders but all I get is a fluid shower. Traced the hoses and all appear to be routed correctly. Obviously I no very little about hydraulics. Any help would be appreciated

/ Hydraulic problem #2  
You won't get much help until you provide more information. You may know very little about hydraulics, and probably know even less about the hydraulics on this tractor.

You obviously found a way to send pressure to your new loader valve, but how/where did you plumb the return? That must be wrong or the loader would come down. The return oil is trapped and has no path back to sump. Some photos of the selector valve, how the ports are marked, and all that might make this a lot easier.

/ Hydraulic problem
Right now the return hose is loose, just stuck in the fluid fill hole

/ Hydraulic problem #4  
If you have float on your valve, push the lever into float.

/ Hydraulic problem #5  
Clint,
Does the bucket curl and dump or did both functions just operate together one way and then stop working?

Do you have six or seven lines connected to the valve?

When you try to lower does it sound like the engine labors at all?

/ Hydraulic problem
I have 6 hoses attached to the spool controller.
Upon starting the tractor and pulling back on the right lever of the spool control, the arms raised to the top. The left lever was pushed forward and the bucket dumped. After these movements, moving of either lever, forwards or backwards got no response from any cylinder. It did not appear to load the engine when pulling or pushing the levers. Thank you

Attachments

• A807AE29-E489-4B09-BD22-815130102FEE.jpeg
    A807AE29-E489-4B09-BD22-815130102FEE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
  • A38D76A6-54AB-4632-985C-1DE58737B7ED.jpeg
    A38D76A6-54AB-4632-985C-1DE58737B7ED.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
   / Hydraulic problem #7  
On first post you mention “aux out”. Is this your terminology for power beyond feature or a second tank connection?

With six line connections required are.
Pressure to inlet port of valve.
Tank line that goes directly to tank
Two lines to loader lift cylinder
Two lines to dump cylinders

In looking at your picture the two hoses closest to valve handles appear larger than other two hoses going to cylinders. Is this an optical illusion? Which cylinders do those two hoses connect too?

On that valve the two ports inline with spool must connect to the same cylinders. These are typically labeled A & B

If power beyond you should have seven hoses.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic problem
Sorry- it has power beyond port— not currently being used.All the hoses are same but appear different sizes in photos.
The hoses aligned with the right handle go to the cylinders that push loader arm up by pulling back and the other end of the same cylinders that push the loader arms down. Same routings to the second set of cylinders that control the bucket.

Could this be a possibility? We bought the loader well used. It appeared to have been outside in the weather for some time. We did not take the cylinders apart before attempting to charge them. Could trash have come out of the cylinders and clogged the lines or valves?

/ Hydraulic problem #9  
Sorry- it has power beyond port— not currently being used.All the hoses are same but appear different sizes in photos.
The hoses aligned with the right handle go to the cylinders that push loader arm up by pulling back and the other end of the same cylinders that push the loader arms down. Same routings to the second set of cylinders that control the bucket.

Could this be a possibility? We bought the loader well used. It appeared to have been outside in the weather for some time. We did not take the cylinders apart before attempting to charge them. Could trash have come out of the cylinders and clogged the lines or valves?
Possible maybe, but doubtful. I'm more curious about your return plumbing. You have a power beyond port but it's not being used? What's in that port? The plug visible in your photo? This is just that, a plug? What does the inside of the valve body look like with the plug removed? Is there a machined bore in the housing a short distance in, or is it all rough casting?

The return hose stuck in the fill port. Oil flows freely out that hose with engine running and valves in neutral? When you move either lever that flow stops yet the cylinders don't move?

/ Hydraulic problem #10  
Clint
Are there markings or labels on the valve casting by where you have the pressure inlet connected and where you have return line connected? Do you have the model code or schematic for the valve you installed.

Like Harry I suspect could be a plumbing error but not exactly sure how or why would operate one way and stop.