Hydraulic PTO

/ Hydraulic PTO #1  

Flad

Bronze Member
Tractor
cat 428b
I have a CAT 428b backhoe that I would like to fit a cat 2 hydraulic pto motor on and also drive a hydraulic post hole digger and hydraulic flail mower from the dipper arm Via quick connect couplings.

What I would like to know is there any connection points on the main control valve block to connect the hydraulic lines to or is it best to Tee off directly from the output of the hydraulic pump and the return directly back to the oil tank.

If any one has ever had experience with fitting auxiliary hydraulics to a Cat backhoe I would like to hear from you, I have all the hoses spool valve and most of the connectors, the repairable or field fix type so I can run the lines and make up the hose length as needed.

Regard's
Flad.

/ Hydraulic PTO #2  
Is it an open center or closed center hydraulic system? You can't "T" an open center system. Do a search on here for those types of systems to learn more.

/ Hydraulic PTO #3  
Flad
Welcome to TBN
As Fallon stated if hyd system is OC one needs to attach hyd motor in series with othe hyd components using a control valve designed for a hyd motor

/ Hydraulic PTO
Hi 'Fallon & Tx Jim,
Thanks for the advice, so far no one has even mentioned open centre or closed centre systems, I bought the right control valves to run a hyd motor one is 12vdc operated the other is a notched manual one the 12v spool valve is for the flail mower if the dc power is lost the solenoid valve shuts off and lets the motor run down instead of a shock stop, both valves are reversible.

I have seen other model CAT backhoes with hydraulic thumbs, post hole diggers ,grabs and other accessories fitted on work sites, so I was thinking there should be some ports on the main control valve block to hook in to, the trouble is that the block is underneath the cabin with heaps of lines solenoids and wiring that can only be accessed from underneath the tractor behind the diff.

Any way thanks for your input, I will certainly look in to your suggestions.
Regard's
Flad.

/ Hydraulic PTO #5  
Hi 'Fallon & Tx Jim,
Thanks for the advice, so far no one has even mentioned open centre or closed centre systems, I bought the right control valves to run a hyd motor one is 12vdc operated the other is a notched manual one the 12v spool valve is for the flail mower if the dc power is lost the solenoid valve shuts off and lets the motor run down instead of a shock stop, both valves are reversible.

I have seen other model CAT backhoes with hydraulic thumbs, post hole diggers ,grabs and other accessories fitted on work sites, so I was thinking there should be some ports on the main control valve block to hook in to, the trouble is that the block is underneath the cabin with heaps of lines solenoids and wiring that can only be accessed from underneath the tractor behind the diff.

Any way thanks for your input, I will certainly look in to your suggestions.
Regard's
Flad.
There is no way to know if they are appropriate valves or not if you don't know if your system is open or closed center.

/ Hydraulic PTO #6  
There is no way to know if they are appropriate valves or not if you don't know if your system is open or closed center.

This, and also you have to know the flow of the system if it is open to size the valves correctly. Lots of things to consider if you want it done right. Cat puts AUX circuits on machines by adding valve sections on open systems. Most of these smaller machines are open systems but high pressure closed systems are finding their way in these units also just like Hydrostatic drive is becoming more popular in bigger machines.