Hydraulic Pump RPM

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #11  
Split wood seasons or drys better cause the air can get to the core. As for why we spilt it well I am 62 and even when I was younger I had trouble picking up a hard maple block that was 18" long and 30" in dia. Plus they are also hard to stack to a height of 6' or higher, also my out door furance door is only 21x21". Then there is the wife and she don't like them big blocks neither. Also no need to recognize me for anything cause there are a lot of people who has split just as much as me and more.

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #12  
doc heb:

there are several reasons to split,

1. to fit wood into stove.

2. to make stacking easy.

3. so when stacking the wood will have less space between wood pieces and less likely to tip.

4. so wood dries better.

to give us an excuse to have some other hunk of equipment around to play with! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #13  
Spiker and Deerlope,

Thanks - I guess it seems pretty obvious re: seasoning & stacking; I've never had a fireplace.

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #14  
Doc
you really should get a fire place or pit, then think of all the extra toys that you could buy.LOL

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #15  
28buick,
I know that we got a little off the question that you asked but 3200 to 3600 RPM's is the norm. anymore questions just asked everyone one is here to help even if we do wander a little.

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #16  
5. It burns hotter and with less smoke

Tonnage is about 15 ton on a tractor hydraulic system because pressure on most compacts is 2500lb or less, self powered ones with the two stage pump put out 20-22 ton on the same 4" cylinder because of the higher pressure out of the pump, splitting cycle is faster also because of the high volume section of pump. I built a splitter from scratch for my tractor and it works well but a bit slow moving ram up or down for the next log, and at 15 tons it will hit relief pressure on big side branches or crotches but it will usually make it thru if i keep trying. I run it on a kubota L3710 with 2450psi and about 7gpm flow

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #17  
I build my splitter also, 13GPM Barnes 2 stage pump,4"diaX24" tie rod cyl, 26GPM control valve,8HP B&S engine, 8" "H" beam, hoes,wheels&mics pieces cost me about 800 bucks.

/ Hydraulic Pump RPM #18  
This pump sounds similar to pumps made by Vickers for powering applications which require higher GPM's. I would guess this pump would have been coupled to a large electric motor turning at either 1100 RPM or 1725.

I rebuilt a couple of these vane type pumps that were used on presses for vulcanizing rubber. The pressure relief was set around 1,800 PSI. The cylinder was 12" in diameter which resulted in 100 tons of pressure at the end of the cylinder. That would make some wood splitter except would would have to have a 55 gallon or better hydraulic tank.

The two stage pumps already mentioned provide the speed and the pressure for using 4" cylinders. If you want to increase the splitting pressure use a larger diameter cylinder, cycle speed will be reduced a little. Going form a 4" diameter cylinder to a 6" diameter will double the splitting force at 2500 PSI.

I still like the looks of the Super Split rack and pinion splitter.
Super Split

Randy