hydraulic pump

/ hydraulic pump #1  

welderboy14

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 325
hi

i am at the stage in my backhoe build were i am starting to look for a pump:D.

but i am having a hard time finding one. First off the 4 cylinders i am using are rated at 2500psi and are 2" bore, 18" stroke.

the first Q i have is what psi should i run them at. and the second what one of theis pumps should i use. heres a link to the ones i can get Gear | Pumps | Hydraulics | Princess Auto

PS. i need at least 8gpm because i have hydraulic mower that needs 8gpm and also the engine i have is 13HP

Thanks for any suggestions
welderboy14

/ hydraulic pump
hi

i am at the stage in my backhoe build were i am starting to look for a pump:D.

but i am having a hard time finding one. First off the 4 cylinders i am using are rated at 2500psi and are 2" bore, 18" stroke.

the first Q i have is what psi should i run them at. and the second what one of theis pumps should i use. heres a link to the ones i can get Gear | Pumps | Hydraulics | Princess Auto

PS. i need at least 8gpm because i have hydraulic mower that needs 8gpm and also the engine i have is 13HP

Thanks for any suggestions
welderboy14
Q means question. sorry forgot the rest of the word when i was typing

/ hydraulic pump #3  
Q means question. sorry forgot the rest of the word when i was typing

If you need 8 GPM at 3000 psi, that will require a 16 HP engine just for the pump alone.

You should set the relief on the valve at around 2400 psi.

A 13 HP engine can operate a 6.5 GPM pump, at 3000 psi.

/ hydraulic pump
If you need 8 GPM at 3000 psi, that will require a 16 HP engine just for the pump alone.

You should set the relief on the valve at around 2400 psi.

A 13 HP engine can operate a 6.5 GPM pump, at 3000 psi.

isint setting the relief at 2400 a bit close to the 2500 max psi on the cylinders

/ hydraulic pump #5  
isint setting the relief at 2400 a bit close to the 2500 max psi on the cylinders

I have not seen anything written in stone about relief settings. I have seen 100, 200, 300 psi, below main pump pressure. Some people try and fudge to wring every bit of energy out of the hydraulic system. There may be an answer out there, say for cylinders, another for hyd motors, etc.

Set the relief pressure below your pump pressure at max engine rpm. You can go by the manufacture specs on the pump, or put a gage on it and test it, or have someone test the pump.

On some hydraulic equipment, you may see three different relief settings. Main pump relief, FEL relief, BH relief.