Hydraulic question for post driver

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #1  

almost canadian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
Hi all.

As you will note from previous posts, while I have had a tractor for some years, I have no real mechanical knowledge at all!

I have a Kubota L4600 and I am looking to purchase a Shaver HD 8 post driver. I note that it comes with hoses but no couplers and that I need to determine whether I need a "plug package for tractors with closed center hydraulics." From what I have been able to determine, my tractor has an "open center gear pump." None of this means anything to me at all!

I have two hose attachments at the rear of my tractor, one of which is a detent.

I have never used any of the hose attachments and I am at work at the moment. From memory, the hose attachments look like those one would expect to see on a compressed air compressor.

In light of the above, can anyone please tell me what couplers I will need and whether I will need to purchase the plug package?

If anyone would like to provide me with any other pointers too, that would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic question for post driver #2  
You do not need the closed center plug kit. You will need to have one male tip to match the remote coupler and will need to have whatever fittings you need to connect the return hose to the hydraulic fill port or other zero pressure return port. The use of quick couplers in the return line is discouraged. The folks at Shaver can help if your Shaver dealer cannot or will not.

/ Hydraulic question for post driver
You do not need the closed center plug kit. You will need to have one male tip to match the remote coupler and will need to have whatever fittings you need to connect the return hose to the hydraulic fill port or other zero pressure return port. The use of quick couplers in the return line is discouraged. The folks at Shaver can help if your Shaver dealer cannot or will not.

Thank you for your reply.

Where will I find the hydraulic fill port?

If you imagine that I am an idiot and make your explanation like you are speaking to an idiot, that would be great!

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #4  
Probably a red cap in the area of the three point hitch top link mount bracket. The place where you add hydraulic oil to the tractor.

Probably a red cap in the area of the three point hitch top link mount bracket. The place where you add hydraulic oil to the tractor.

OK

So....

This is a picture of the back of my tractor. Back of tractor.jpg

As you will note there are two sets of connectors that are almost in the middle of the picture. I had assumed that I will simply connect both hoses to the post driver to the appropriate set of connectors so that the "from" and the return were dealt with that way.

From what you said, it is fine to connect the "from" to the post driver, but the return should go somewhere else. I have my tractor maintained by my local dealer so I have never put hydraulic oil into it. As you will note, there is a red cap to the left of the connectors. Is that the area you are referring to above?

My apologies for being so stupid!

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #6  
I wish I could help on this one.
I feel your pain, not knowing and afraid you will misunderstand.
Reading this thread, I can not feel pain with the answers you have received.
I am not knowing or do not understand.
My first question would be "why not use the return port" and my second thought is how dirty my tractor gets, I would be slow to take off the transmission fill plug and put a return hose there.

I will be following with interest.

I wish I could help on this one.
I feel your pain, not knowing and afraid you will misunderstand.
Reading this thread, I can not feel pain with the answers you have received.
I am not knowing or do not understand.
My first question would be "why not use the return port" and my second thought is how dirty my tractor gets, I would be slow to take off the transmission fill plug and put a return hose there.

I will be following with interest.
Thanks

I am happy to use either method of connecting the return and, if there is a good reason not to the use the quick coupler (as I anticipate there is) then I will use the transmission fill port. I have never taken the cap off so I have no idea what it looks like and how one connects anything to it. I will have a look tonight and I anticipate that I will simply need to obtain a connector that screws into the thread that is left by the cap.

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #8  
Those look like female 1/2" ag connectors, with dust caps in them. That's typical of modern CUTS.

You will need 1/2" male ag connectors to plug into them. They are not threaded. There is a locking collar that you push in to unlock to insert or remove the male coupler. Most tractors use ag connectors but there are other standards too, some that look similar. You can ask your dealer what kind of connectors are on yours. The standard ag type can be had at TSC or similar. They will have NPT thrads on them. Don't use teflon tape on the threads. I prefer Loctite 545 which is made to seal hydraulic threads. If the post hole driver has something other than 1/2" NPT on the hoses you will have to figure out what the use and buy adaptors. Or you can go to a hydraulic hose store or a good NAPA.

Some post hole drivers need a free flowing return. The standard route for the oil would be back into the tractor and through the valve that controls the 3pt. The post hole driver's manual will say if it needs a direct train line to the tank.

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #9  
The post driver requires an unrestricted flow back to the sump, it can't flow fast enough through the return port on your remote valve to work. With the right fittings on the tractor and the driver dirt getting into your hydraulics will not be an issue. On my tractor I tapped a 3/4" NPT pipe nipple into the fill cap, with an elbow threaded onto that with a plug in the other side of the elbow. When I want to hook up my driver I unscrew the plug from the elbow, thread in a barbed fitting, slip the return hose over the barbed fitting and secure it with a hose clamp. I'm sure there is a faster way to hook it all up, but my method was home brew, cheap, is sealed against dirt/water intrusion, it works and didn't require a trip to anywhere when I went to fabricate it all up (parts were in bins/on the shelf/floating on a bench).

I mean it might work hooking up to your remotes, you might be able to pound a tee post in very slowly, but you will never put a 4" wooden post in the ground 3' deep.

/ Hydraulic question for post driver #10  
You could use a 3/4" ag coupler on that return line. It'd save threading and hose clamping when you attach and detach the post driver.