Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #1  

diesel466

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I am looking to buy some hydraulic quick couplings and wondering if poppet style or ball type are better? I have heard poppet style leak less? Looking for opinions Thanks

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #2  
Poppets are supposed to leak less, I can't verify that one way or the other though. Your JD790 has all poppets now, so why not keep them all the same?

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type
Thanks for the reply, They are not going on the 790, Putting a valve on a tractor that does not have anything yet. Just wondered which would be better

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #4  
I think I read that poppets, the ones with the point, not the ball bearing will do a better job of hooking up when there is pressure on one side of the connection. Since they came out later (entered the marketplace) than the ball I would assume they are improved and that is all I buy.

HTH,
Mark

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #5  
Why not just install the gage in a tee in the IN port of the FE: valve and put it where you can see it.

It will always be there looking at you indicating the hyd pressure anytime the pump is running.

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type
I am adding a hydraulic valve to a tractor that does not have any valves on it now. The valve will be used to control a snow plow. I will put 4 quick couplings on it to disconnect hoses for summer. Was just wondering why pioneer sells both poppet and ball type coupling sets. Is one better than other?

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #7  
Poppet style has less restriction than the ball, we mix the poppet with the ball style with no issues. No issues with these small tractors GPM flow anyway. Pick one. Ball is usually cheaper and that is considered a AG style and the poppet Industrial. CJ

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #8  
Excerpts:

The poppet type QD is becoming more popular than the ball type.

The poppet style quick disconnect is the most common type available today

Lowest pressure drop for size, more flow.

Snap-tite believes in supplying poppet style valving in lieu of the ball style check which is supplied by the competition in many cases.

If you are smart, you will upsize to a larger QD than hose size.

As far as connecting under pressure, some do and some don't.

Even with the same manufacturer, the male and the female might have different pressure limits of connect under pressure.

Some QD's will connect under some pressure, and others will connect under full pressure.

/ Hydraulic quick couplings poppet or ball type #9  
Why not just install the gage in a tee in the IN port of the FE: valve and put it where you can see it.

It will always be there looking at you indicating the hyd pressure anytime the pump is running.

Agree with that logic. Case in point, different application: My round baler does not have bale compression springs like my larger diameter previous JD baler. TX. Jim (the resident JD Whiz-kid if you will) and I got into a dialogue about just how my baler works and he informed me that the gate cylinders on my machine act upon the belts in the same manner as the springs on other balers so I did in fact have the ability to put external pressure on the belts to deliver a tight bale.

So to prove it to myself and to have a visual monitor now so I don't have to guess what's happening, I put a pressure gauge in the line on the front of the baler that I could see from the cab and lo and behold I measured 2500# and had good tight bales. My soft bale problem I had initially was due to "operator stupidity"....er ah "uneducated operator" of a new to him machine. Grin.

Thanks,
Mark