Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever?

/ Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever? #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
As I'm trying to figure out what tractor modification projects I'll tackle this year once it warms up in my unheated garage; I've been thinking about adding a hydraulic side-link to my hydraulic top-link. I have plenty of SCV's available.

Other than the cost of the extra cylinder and the fittings/hoses to make it work; am I trying to be too clever with this idea. Please see attachment that explains what I've got in mind.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Sidelink ANSI A (1).pdf
    300.5 KB · Views: 485
   / Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever? #2  
Nice try, but I do not think it will work. The problem will be because the loads on each side link will most likely not be equal. The cylinder with the most resistance will be the last to move. Only after the other cylinder has completed it's full extension or retraction will the oposite cylinder want to move. It is the same concept with FEL and 2 curl cylinders. The front mount on a FEL either has to be a solid fixed piece of iron (or the bucket acts as a fixed point) or the the curl cylinders would retract or extend at different rates. This will be more noticeable on the rear lift arms.

/ Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever?
I wasn't aware of those items Trails, thanks for sharing.

The issue is not the stroke length of the cylinder; but the side to side motion that contacts the PB and SCV connectors. I'd like to add tilt; but the offset pivot will just make the matter worse; hence the idea of moving the tilt's pivot point to the tractor centerline.

Thanks all for the suggestion and comments. After reading the advice here and elsewhere, I'm going to shelve this idea as nice in theory; but not practical.

/ Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever? #6  
mjncad

Could you not extend the tabs on the tractor, that hold the bottom of the cylinder, effectively giving more room for the cylinder to raise, etc. and not touch anything. .

/ Hydraulic side-link idea...am I trying to be too clever? #7  
mjncad

Could you not extend the tabs on the tractor, that hold the bottom of the cylinder, effectively giving more room for the cylinder to raise, etc. and not touch anything. .

I did that - more or less - on my last tractor. I drilled 3 holes along the lower link arm that the bottom of the cylinder pinned into. The closest hole had the greatest lift upwards (tilt) and the farthest hole had the least lift change (could pose a problem for the top cylinder).

Don't recommend doing that, however. I had concerns about the overall strength of the link arm and if you forgot what hole (or just wasn't thinking about it at all) the cylinder was pinned in - you could have a problem... :eek:

Trails suggestion is the easiest - a clamp on stop block on the cylinder ram. (Do they slip and/or scratch the cylinder ram?)

If you're concerned about interference with the top link - measure and measure again the lift distance and buy a cylinder with a safe stroke length.

Agree with Radman's observations of the inherent problems of "linking" the two side links together. Uneven terrain would make operating a rear blade , etc. nearly impossible.

PS Nice design plan - way too professional for my "bush league" brain, though! :D

AKfish

mjncad

Interesting idea J_J; but I'm concerned this could somehow introduce excessive stress on those tabs, and I've seen a picture of a broken tab on the same series of tractor as mine. It wasn't pretty and a new 3PH lift housing is $$$$. That's where the tabs on the 4000 series tractors reside.

I think I'll look into doing some sort fitting magic to raise the QD's up and out of the way. If I can, this would probably be the least expensive and troublesome method.

The big problem is that it's tight back there with almost no wiggle room for any kind of slick solution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

PS Nice design plan - way too professional for my "bush league" brain, though! :D

AKfish

Thanks, I did CAD professionally for 24-years before I got out of the business. Old habits die hard.