Hydraulic thread sealant opinions?

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #11  
Youare has it bang on. The other problem is some of the cheap stuff flooding us from China is poor tolerance on the threads and may never make a traditional interference fit.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #12  
Tape will work very well to seal thread on pipe fittings. Problems arise when having to take joints apart. Making sure that none of the tape gets into hydraulic system will be difficult.
The product I use for pipe fittings is Loctite 567 high temperature thread sealant.
I have also used the same product as MadReferee mentioned with good results. It cost a lot less than Loctite.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #13  
Jerry, I've used a lot of teflon tape on a lot of different threads, but like you, on hydraulic fittings, I never used anything and had no leaks so nothing was needed.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #14  
All we use at work is Loctite 545 hydraulic sealant for fittings (I'm pretty sure that's the number).

Steve

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #15  
Teflon tape was originally intended to be used on old NPT (National Pipe Thread) to take up the space that was created from repeated assembly and disassembly. When you use Teflon tape on new pipe fittings, the sharp edges of the thread cuts the tape and the only place that it remains is in the valleys of the threads. I use a blue paste product which I don't remember the name of or Rectorseal #5, which ever is handiest. I don't ever use Teflon tape on anything that is critical such as hydraulics where it can cause problems beyond belief if it gets into the system.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #16  
<font color="blue"> I believe that this was a standard npt fitting. </font>
All hydraulic fittings that are NPT should have some type of thread sealant. JIC, O'Ring and Swivel types generally do not require thread sealant.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #17  
I use the Teflon tape for low pressure water only. I use rector seal, or Teflon paste for any fuel or hydraulic npt fittings.

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #18  
Junkman,

Wouldn't the spin on hydraulic system filters on our Kubotas catch any wayword pieces of Teflon tape before they got to the pumps? If not, what are those filters for?

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #19  
Killer, Junkman is incommunicado for about a week. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hydraulic thread sealant opinions? #20  
<font color="blue">Killer, Junkman is incommunicado for about a week. </font>
Gee, Killer, how'd you miss this? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif There's an entire thread about it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif