Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #71  
Indirectly, that brings up a concern for me. Over the years, my experience has been that the first major component to give trouble are small, air cooled gas engines. There is probably some kind of special engine to pump mount on at least one side of the engine that would make it difficult to replace the engine with something else. I'm not sure you could drop in a Harbor Freight predator in place of the Kohler, for example.
After 2 dead gas engines.... I have a honda in one and a Kubota in another 425. Not drop in, but not especially complex. Swaps are covered in the forum

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #72  
Indirectly, that brings up a concern for me. Over the years, my experience has been that the first major component to give trouble are small, air cooled gas engines. There is probably some kind of special engine to pump mount on at least one side of the engine that would make it difficult to replace the engine with something else. I'm not sure you could drop in a Harbor Freight predator in place of the Kohler, for example.
I don't think the pump mount is anything special these days. The current configuration on the 425 has the engine, pump mount, tram pump, then the two sections of the other pumps piggybacked off the back of the tram pump, as I understand it.

My 2001 model year has the tram pump on one side of the engine, and the two other pumps on the other. That required them to cut the screen on that side of the engine, and install a stub PTO adapter and pump mount. But again, those were standard items that are still available today.

As far as the gas engine goes, the only problems I'm having with mine are that a valve cover bolt snapped off and it leaks oil now. I can't get the broken stud out, so if I fail at my next attempt (an end cutting mill bit), I'll have to replace the head. Probably going to undertake that in a few days.

I did have the nut that holds the rocker arm down come loose and it tosses a pushrod through the valve cover. That's what caused me to remove the valve cover in the first place. But other than that, no issues.

All it has to to is run at 3600RPM and spin pumps all day.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #73  
I think the largest Predator is 22HP. I need the 25 for my 60" mower.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #74  
Several folks have done engine replacements over the years. Is it trivial? No, but I think that replacing an engine rarely is. In my experience, the PT engine replacement doesn't seem too bad. Small engine bolt patterns are quasi standard, and the adapter plate is just steel plate with holes in it to go onto the engine and to the hydraulic pump stack. The coupling is a Love-joy. All in all, pretty standard.

I would keep my eye on the bigger picture being that PT engines needing replacement are uncommon. The other item I would note is that these machines are shade tree serviceable. (I'm not saying hydraulic pump/motors are exactly shade tree, but dropping in a replacement motor is.) No transmissions or differentials, and the engine is the biggest item in all of these tractors.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions
I get that self-service aspect being the owner of a Terramite.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #77  
"He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?"
And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench
There, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I
Said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand,"

I like the work that hydraulics can accomplish, but detest the mess that comes along with rebuilding a leaky hydraulic cylinder. Hydraulic hoses---tolerable. But those cylinders are a pain.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #79  
Moss I put the predator in my 425 and it handles the 60" mower just fine. If you look at the specs, the predator has more torque than the kohler. I'm very impressed with it. The only drawback is the motor will smoke when trying to back up a steep slope. I'm sure I am exceeding the 20 degree slope limits though.

Moss I put the predator in my 425 and it handles the 60" mower just fine. If you look at the specs, the predator has more torque than the kohler. I'm very impressed with it. The only drawback is the motor will smoke when trying to back up a steep slope. I'm sure I am exceeding the 20 degree slope limits though.
Did it go right in without having to use any other adapters or make any modifications?