Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector?

/ Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #1  

hwp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota F2400
Has anyone devised a hydraulically controlled deflector shield for their mower deck? I often want to change the position of the deflector several times while I am mowing and it is a pain to have to stop and move the deflector up or down manually every time. I have a hydraulic circuit available in a convenient location but haven't been able to think of a way to control the position of the deflector using a hydraulic cylinder. The deflector rotates 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

/ Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #2  
Howard, i have sen some landscapers use an electric powered chute deflector, but can't recall seeing a hydraulic one.
Will

/ Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #3  
Howard what about adding a bracket that mounts on the top of the deflector perpendicular to the deflector sheet metal. Then add the cylinder to the parallel to the ground on top of the mower deck. When the deflector is down the cylinder is extended and when the cylinder retracts the deflector raises. you would want to make sure that when raised the braket didn't go over 90 degrees.

Attachments

• 322434-mower deck.bmp
    18.7 KB · Views: 430
   / Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #4  
The electric unit has its own deflector which will block off the discharge completely when closed.

MasterChute (MasterChute.com) makes te electric unit, I think it runs around $350.00. manual units are available from York Sheet metal (YSM.com). I have a manual unit on my Lazer...its a knock off of the york, I couldn't live without it!
I'm getting ready to make one for my Walk Behind. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector?
Thanks Roy. That is what I have been thinking about but I haven't solved the geometry problem of always having the cylinder rod clevis at close to 90 degrees to the top of the deflector chute.

Thanks Alta. Those are a couyple of intersting options. BTW the York site is www.yorksheet.com. I couldn't get a clear picture of the mechansim that controls the deflector. Could you post a couple of pictures of yours? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #7  
Heres mine, if I can get the pic to load..

Attachments

• 323490-OCDC1.jpg
    323490-OCDC1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 362
   / Hydraulically controlled mower deck deflector? #8  
And another....
Mine isn't the york sheet metal director, though. Its a copy, which isn't set up as well. I wish I'd went with the York. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 323492-ExmarkOCMC.jpg
    323492-ExmarkOCMC.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 288
After considerable thought, I realized that trying to use a hydraulic cylinder wasn't going to work, but a hydraulic motor would. So after some more thought, here is what I came up with. This is a view from the rear with the deflector in the down position.

Attachments

• 328798-Down-position-from-rear-web.gif
    328798-Down-position-from-rear-web.gif
    81 KB · Views: 288