Hydraulics Piping Questions

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions
Thanks again to all for the ideas!

It's a very long story... there is no damage to the outlet tube.

My tractor has certain hydraulic gear pumps and plumbing. The gear pumps are very rare and specialized. The main gear pump has failed. Getting replacement pumps has been impossible so far. After searching the world over (literally), I have finally found gear pumps (for a different tractor) which basically match my rare and specialized pumps and will mate with my engine.

Even though these 'other' pumps will work with my system... the pumps have different type flanges for the inlet and outlet. My current piping flanges will not connect. So in addition to purchasing the 'other' pumps... I must also purchase the 'other' piping with flanges. I must cut the pipe to add fittings and a hose so that the 'other' pump will integrate with my current hydraulic system.

Thanks again.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #12  
In your situation I would be tempted to buy threaded adapters to get from the pump to a standard hose fitting. But of course with the adapters taking up space then the pipes no longer fit. A way to deal with that is to replace the pipes with hoses. Since you would only have two hoses to the pump, that may be your solution.
rScotty

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #13  
Imagine the steel piping which goes to a simple hydraulic gear pump which has an inlet and an outlet.

The inlet pipe is approximately 1 1/4" in diameter. The outlet pipe is approximately 3/4" in diameter.

The inlet pipe comes from the transmission & filter to the pump. About 2' before the pump, the inlet pipe has a 2" gap in the steel pipe. This gap is joined together with a rubber hose. (This gap is there to provide some flex to the pipe when attaching it to the hydraulic pump).

The outlet pipe comes from the outlet of the pump and goes to the PTO block with hydraulic pressure. This steel pipe is unbroken between the pump and the PTO block.

My question is... would there be any problem with cutting this outlet pipe and joining it back together with a short hose section? Say a 4"- 6" hose section over a break in the pipe of 1"?

Thanks for any ideas!

I just saw your yesterday's message.
You can break the inlet pipe that way and add a hose. You CANNOT and MUST NOT break the outlet pipe that way and add a hose unless you put special fittings on the pipe and the hose. More trouble than it is worth.
Just go with a hose all the way on the outlet. Get a hydraulic hose made up to fit. Locally source is fine.
rScotty

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #14  
I don't know if I agree with all that. I've been cutting hydraulic tubing such as this and doing custom work on them for years. I've had no problems from it. You don't know what his new pump is, what style/size ports it has, or anything else about it. No need to dictate what he can or can't do.

Should he offer those specifics and then asks for advice, you're free to make your case.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #15  
Another alternative is to have the pipe welded by a certified welder. The welder could even sleeve the joint for additional strength.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #16  
I don't know if I agree with all that. I've been cutting hydraulic tubing such as this and doing custom work on them for years. I've had no problems from it. You don't know what his new pump is, what style/size ports it has, or anything else about it. No need to dictate what he can or can't do.

Should he offer those specifics and then asks for advice, you're free to make your case.

OK then Harry. We've got two guys giving opposite advice. I don't have a problem with that. The Original Poster can decide who to believe & which way to go.

The question he originally asked was, "My question is... would there be any problem with cutting this outlet pipe and joining it back together with a short hose section? Say a 4"- 6" hose section over a break in the pipe of 1"?

You say you have been cutting hydaulic tubing such as that and doing custom work for years and what he is asking is OK. You say you've "done this for years".

I say it is NOT OK. THis is 2000 psi or more. It is dangerous pressure and he should not in any way attempt to cut a high pressure line and then bridge the gap with a rubber hose like he has on the low pressure side. Just because it works on the low pressure (suction side) has no bearing on it being able to work on the high pressure side. High pressure hydraulic leaks are not something to fool with

So now the owner can decide which way he wants to go.
rScotty

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #17  
Using a 4-6" piece of hose between two high pressure pipes is not the issue. And yes it can be done.

The issue is the hose type and fitting type.

Adapt to a common hydraulic thread (JIC, NPT, ORFS), or flare the tube, or use a swageloc fitting....all okay to "join" the pipe sections.

Simply slipping a hose section over and using clamps.....NOPE. NOT for the high pressure side

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions
Thanks to all for the ideas and opinions... I really appreciate it.

If I do have to go this route... I will be using some form of the proper high-pressure fittings, hoses, etc. to make the high-pressure line.

Magically... the solstice seems to have brought some movement on the issue as the new gear pumps I ordered previously have appeared at my dealer and are on the way to me now. I may not have to integrate the 'other' pumps at this time. But it's nice to know there are options for going a different route if need be.

Thanks again.