Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install #1  

zepplin454

Tractor
Cub SLTX 1050
I have a 2011 Cub Cadet SLTX 1050 120hrs. Transmission been making a little more noise than it did when it was new. Decided to change the fluid, But as with most all the smaller tractors there is no drain plug or external filter. I didnt want to remove the unit and drain out the fill or vent. So i decided to make my own drain plug. I looked at the parts diagram on cubs website to see the break down so I would know where to drill. Just happens to be the lowest point on the transmission which is where i wanted to put it. There is a green Patent sticker on a flat portion of the transmission. I bought a 1/8" npt brass plug with a hex head, drilled it out with a 1/4" bit first to let all the oil to drain. I then put a 90* awl in to check for clearances. Everything seemed to be good so i finished drilling with a 21/64" bit and threaded with a 1/8x28 npt tap. On my transmission I have a expansion tank for the fluid with a small hose going to the bottom, so when the fluid cools it retracts the over flowed oil back into the transmission keeping it full. Work exactly like a radiator. Right next to the tank there is a allen screw plug on top of the transmission, this is the fill plug. I filled it with 10w30 and 1/2 qt of motor flush and ran for 10-15 mins on the jack with it in drive and reverse. Did this to help clean the carbonized oil and anything else from wear.Manual says it will take 76 oz. or to the top of the bull gear of 20w50 or in my case 15w50 synthetic since I use it in the winter to clear the drive way. It tends to whine alot for the first 15 mins till it warms the fluid. I Filled mine to the top allowing the excess oil to drain into the expansion tank. I then removed the expansion tank and put a couple of ounces in, about 1/4 full max. I then washed the transmission of all dirt and oil residue so it cools better and will know if there are any leaks. I let it run for another 15 mins on the jack to purge the system of air. Took it for a ride and it is alot more responsive and quieter, just the way it was when new.

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install #2  
I have a 2011 Cub Cadet SLTX 1050 120hrs. Transmission been making a little more noise than it did when it was new. Decided to change the fluid, But as with most all the smaller tractors there is no drain plug or external filter. I didnt want to remove the unit and drain out the fill or vent. So i decided to make my own drain plug. I looked at the parts diagram on cubs website to see the break down so I would know where to drill. Just happens to be the lowest point on the transmission which is where i wanted to put it. There is a green Patent sticker on a flat portion of the transmission. I bought a 1/8" npt brass plug with a hex head, drilled it out with a 1/4" bit first to let all the oil to drain. I then put a 90* awl in to check for clearances. Everything seemed to be good so i finished drilling with a 21/64" bit and threaded with a 1/8x28 npt tap. On my transmission I have a expansion tank for the fluid with a small hose going to the bottom, so when the fluid cools it retracts the over flowed oil back into the transmission keeping it full. Work exactly like a radiator. Right next to the tank there is a allen screw plug on top of the transmission, this is the fill plug. I filled it with 10w30 and 1/2 qt of motor flush and ran for 10-15 mins on the jack with it in drive and reverse. Did this to help clean the carbonized oil and anything else from wear.Manual says it will take 76 oz. or to the top of the bull gear of 20w50 or in my case 15w50 synthetic since I use it in the winter to clear the drive way. It tends to whine alot for the first 15 mins till it warms the fluid. I Filled mine to the top allowing the excess oil to drain into the expansion tank. I then removed the expansion tank and put a couple of ounces in, about 1/4 full max. I then washed the transmission of all dirt and oil residue so it cools better and will know if there are any leaks. I let it run for another 15 mins on the jack to purge the system of air. Took it for a ride and it is alot more responsive and quieter, just the way it was when new.

Cool!

Do you have any pics of the install?

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install
I do have a pick but cant figure out how to put it on. I have a hard time putting pictures up since i have a chromebook.

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install
ForumRunner_20150907_215625.png

Found it a lot easier using the app to post a picture

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install #5  
I know this is an old post, but I'm curious how this drain plug is holding up, I'm wanting to try this on my SLTX 1054. Recently experiencing "fade" in the Hydrostatic Trans, after mowing for about a half hour, and I know the Hydro Oil has never been changed. I tried to siphon out the old oil out of the top but didn't get much out. This looks like a perfect hack to service these Hydros

/ Hydro-Gear Drain Plug Install #6  
I know this is an old post, but I'm curious how this drain plug is holding up,
Guess you will have to try it and see.

Not likley to get a reply:
zepplin454.png