Hydroseed this late?

/ Hydroseed this late? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Well, for those that don't know the story I will bring you up to speed. Had a house built, 15 months later we fire the builder, lots undone, some done bad, back and forth with lawyers for months.

OK that sets it up. Well, things are starting to wrap up a little, and we were thinking of grading the lot, and hydroseeding now. Do you think any will grow this late? It has been cold, but looks like the next week or so will be in the 60's. My thoughts are get it done, so we don't get into a jam next spring, and the weeds get a head start before we do the lawn. If I have to over seed a bit, so be it. Any thoughts? I would REALY like a lawn. Spent this whole summer mowing rocks.

/ Hydroseed this late? #2  
Maybe, consider using a winter rye mixture, just to get something to hold the soild together.

I did this a few years back in around this time, and I did not use hydroseed. Just broke the soil up and applied lots of lime. In the spring we re-seeded.

Work out OK. But then again, we are a couple of hundred miles South of you.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydroseed this late? #3  
Unless you have some kind of grass up north that I'm not familiar with, I would think it's too late in the year. I had a new lawn hydromulched in July once with common bermuda in Dallas; worked great. So 3 neighbors had theirs done the same in August, but then another neighbor called the company in September and they told him it was too late in the year for bermuda, but they did it in fescue. So you might be able to find something that will work this late, but is it something you'll want next summer? Rye is about the only thing I know of to use this late.

/ Hydroseed this late? #4  
Paul,
Winter rye is about all thats going to sprout now. And that depends on how many sunny warm days you get to warm the ground up enough for germination. It will take a few days, weeks in the ground to soften up the seed jackets so they can take root.....Anything you throw down now will get an early start in spring anyway...

/ Hydroseed this late? #5  
We just reclaimed a wood waste landfill and because of the quick onset of fall we used wild bird seed. It looks like a jungle now. Its nine dollars for 50 pounds has all kinds of sunflower an millet and we lso mix wheat and oats to. It makes a good thick cover to stop erosion and when it finally gets cold enough to kill it it stas. In the spring we also turn it over and plant it again and turn it over in the fall. This builds the soil to as we have pure yellow sand in one seson you can get 2 inches of new topsoil. Take care Taylor Lambert

/ Hydroseed this late? #6  
This time of year I would skip the Hydro seed and broadcast some Rye mixture. A lot of feed stores probably have it on sale real cheap now. Not that rye is ever very expensive to begin with. Some people near my deer camp which is USDA zone 4 are still planting rye. Its so easy to grow why pay for the hydro. You can get a top notch earth way chest crank spreader for $85 or just use a broadcast fertilizer spreader. Earthway is still under $100 and will last a life time for normal use. Dave

/ Hydroseed this late? #7  
It's too late for growth this year. If you did get growth once it froze out it would kill it. You can seed usually after the 15th of November and you will get a nice frost seeding. I'm tearing up a couple pastures right now and will be doing that.

/ Hydroseed this late?
Well, we are getting a few loads of top soil in, and was hoping to get the grass to just start. Help hold it down for the winter, and get a nice early start this spring. Do you think anyseed that does not grow this fall, will sprot in spring? The good thing, is that we are expecting 60deg weather for the next week or so. I was kinda hoping that would get things growing.

/ Hydroseed this late? #9  
I hope it grows! they are spreading dirt and hydroseeding along the 1/2 mile privite drive I live on today! We had to bite the bullet this year and put in a new road after the frost heaves this past spring. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Nothing $60K wouldn't fix /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but its done right this time. I also saw them hydroseeding along the highway this morning, so it should start growing this year. Time will tell!

/ Hydroseed this late? #10  
If it was my yard for the low cost of Rye seed I would sure give it a go. Its bound to come up some and anything will help set up your soil and prevent erosion. Seed is cheap. I dont think I would pay to hydro seed it this late though. Dave