I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
Since we have a new PT180 owner on the site I would like to bring up a topic that all of us could benefit from. I have mentioned it before but I think it is important, so here it goes again. The Power Trac tractor uses hydraulics to do a lot of things and each feature generates heat especially hyd drive implements. How do you know how hot your hydraulic oil is? How hot is too hot?
Hydraulic fluid temperatures above 180 DEG F damage most seal compounds and accelerate degradation of the oil. While the operation of any hydraulic system at temperatures above 180 DEG F should be avoided, fluid temperature is too high when viscosity falls below the optimum value for the hydraulic system's components. This can occur well below 180 deg F, depending on the fluid's viscosity grade.
It is probably obvious that you should drill, tap and install a gauge. But that is kind of difficult, so most owners wont do it. So I just ordered one of these for my 2nd tractor off of fleebay

BAKER INSTRUMENTS 312FC Thermometer,Magnetic Surface,F/C | eBay

If the link gets old, it is just a magnetic surface temperature gauge (0-250 deg F) that can be applied to your hyd reservoir at/below oil level for most accurate results. For $25 and no labor you can know how close you get to overheating your oil.
Be careful because if on the lower portion of tractor in heavy brush it might get knocked loose, I have almost lost mine (cracked glass). Since then I just stick it to the LOADER CONTROL VALVE, this has continuous oil flow through it but might register a slightly lower reading. You can see it from a normal seating position.
I STARTED OFF WITH A NEW PT180 OWNER BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY PT MADE WITHOUT A OIL COOLER! AND IT WILL OVERHEAT IF USED FOR HEAVY MOWING FOR MORE THEN 1/2 HOUR IN HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES.
It is better to drill and tap and conventional temp gauge, but if you want the next best choice, here you go...

Attachments

• mag temp delete.jpg
    mag temp delete.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 244
   / I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #2  
Interesting. I've never heard of anything like this.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is.
Most people haven't. Inside tip from repair tech. Ignore it and run hot, then wonder why all your piston seals, valves etc start leaking. Blame the machine as junk.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #4  
I got the PT425 because I needed the higher HP to spin the larger mower. It has a hydraulic cooler and fan. Spinning the 60" hydraulic deck or the 48" hydraulic brush cutter causes a lot of heat to build up in the fluid. I've never put a thermometer on it, but have always been curious as to the actual temps. Maybe I'll do it this year.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is.
If you have time do a on-line search for MAX HYDRAULIC OIL TEMP. Some of the stuff will scare you. Remember if you are getting 160 to 180 in the tank, what is it running through the motors before it dumps into the tank? A little good maintenance will extend your service life tremendously.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #6  
Good idea. When first got my machine I was wondering where hydraulic fluid temp gauge was?
Just purchased one from your link and thnks for posting.
Mike

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #7  
I second PowerTracManiac, just ordered one for myself, as heat seems to be a problem with my 425 w/Robbins.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #8  
What oil/fluid is used in these? Can you use a better synthetic which usually drops the running temperature?
I just changed the fluid in one of my Grasshoppers which only takes 2.5 quarts. But it is $22 a quart so it would add up in a larger system. I know GH specs that fluid which has more additives than some other synthetics, but I read where some shops use Mobile 1 fluid as "almost as good but lower priced". I'm just curious what these P-T's use.

/ I believe everyone should do this to know how hot your hyd oil is. #10  
These tractors use 15W40 oil for hydraulic fluid. Changing to synthetic does not help in this application. (I have done the experiment.)

My guess is that synthetic oil has a reputation for reducing running temperature by reducing metal to metal friction by better oil film integrity. I think in this application that the heat is generated by oil turbulence, wall drag, and only to a smaller amount by surface friction heating within the motor and pumps.

Regardless, there is significant heat build up in the oil, especially during mowing, which is at wide open throttle for long durations. The added engine heat from WOT reduces the oil cooling ability of the oil radiator. My do list has included an auxiliary fan for years, and I really should get on to that project. Sigh.

Stay safe,

Peter