Mowing I can use a bit of advice

/ I can use a bit of advice #11  
Get the 3/4" set out, breaker bar, and about a 4' cheater... Those nuts can really seize themselves on there. Some bolts have shoulders on them to hold the bolt, usually just until you get the nut broke loose, then everything turns..., LOL... A set of jumbo wrenches can be handy to hold the bolt.

Some mowers have an access hole on top of the deck, to get to the top of the blade bolt(s). I see yours does not, or appears not to.

That's why I sharpen them on the mower... I can sharpen both sides, in less time than removing one side... You may have better luck....

Those 240A's were designed for a loader, and backhoe for that matter. HD non-adjustable front axle, and the side frame to relieve the stress off the engine block, and torque tube.

The IH 2050 loader is the perfect fit for this tractor. Finding one, is another story.

I've attached a picture of a 240A with loader.

Some rear ballast will be a must. I had one of these loaders on a IH 2404 Lo-Boy, and had a 6' Massey-Ferguson rotary cutter on the rear. I thought it would give it plenty of ballast... Nope... So loading the tires, + extra weight on the the 3 pt. might be a good idea.

Attachments

• 240A with loader.jpg
    240A with loader.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 211
   / I can use a bit of advice #12  
when you get the bolts,pins, ect out. use anit-sieze compound on threads and pins.
then they will come apart.

/ I can use a bit of advice
I haven't attacked the blades yet. There is an access hole on the deck, and I believe I have a big mutha' socket that'll fit. I also have an impact wrench, but no impact sockets that big, so I'll resort to the breaker & some elbow grease.

Right now, I'm waiting on replacement parts for the injectors. Pop test showed one working marginally but repairable and the other two barely working and not repairable.

Guess that explains some of my power and smoking issues.

/ I can use a bit of advice #14  
I have an International 240A Tractor with the loader and 3 pt hitch. Tractor works great. It also as the loboy package which includes the wide Turf Tires. They are filled so it helps with the loader. Currently looking for some more aggressive rear tires for it. What size tire are you running on the rear and front?

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_20160313_133053626_HDR.jpgIMG_20160326_215641.jpgIMG_20160328_151120.jpg

/ I can use a bit of advice #15  
Lean injectors (dirty) can also cause overheating.
I just use an angle grinder to sharpen my mowers.
If yours is really rounded off then you may need to remove them and use a bench grinder to clean them up and in the future a touch up with the angle grinder will do the trick.
Maybe even outlay $50 for a new set and then you can care for them much easier.

/ I can use a bit of advice #16  
I set the topic as "Mowing" as there wasn't a selection labelled "What was I thinking?"

I have this tractor... - how many whiners start off with similar comments?

It's apparently a '78 IH/Case 240PT, and it has a 6 foot mower or shredder or brush cutter - too rusty to make out who made it - and I have a few questions about both.

Any way to manually disengage the differential lock? I can move it maybe 1/4 inch down against the spring, but it don't come up at all. Squirted about a half can of wd40 on everything I can see that can move, drove forward and backward on grass and concrete and in all gears while straight and turning and - no boowayno, it won't disengage.

Any suggestions about sharpening mower blades? Do ya' just lay down under it and go to town with a file and a six-pack? Looks like it'll be a mutha' to actually take them off, but I guess that'd keep all the filings out of the beer.

She'll mow firly well for about 15 minutes, then start losing power & I have to shut down for an hour or so. Probably overheating. None of the gages are functioning, so This is probably not one I can get help with till I do some repairs.

If I get 1 and 2 figured out, 3 will probably go away.

I've got a Case dealer about 15 miles away, but so far, I haven't gotten any indications of intelligence, ambition, or customer service from anyone there.
Hey EpicTX - It looks like I now own the tractor you used to have & I got a couple questions for ya if you don't mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-122846.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518-122846.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 84