I don't know how to bend steel.

/ I don't know how to bend steel.
i already plan to paint it, so its not a issue. I'm not comfortable reattaching it and pulling on it. I don't want to tweak the frame, to be honest im surprised the frame isn't bent, its the same thickness.

some good idea's need to see whats going to work. i would love to secure it some how, i may just end up heating it, i did try a little with my small press (4ton) but was worried it would get even worse, as it is only slight.

thanks for some idea's

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #13  
That is a very MILD bend. In other words, it is a LONG way from wadded up or really "hurt".

If you want rid of it, the come along can be used fairly easily, OR you can build a simple platform in the shape of a U to go on either side and use a large C clamp to precisely pull the bend back out. This offers a great deal of control and you can work this cold. Always bend back just slightly over center the other way and it will "spring back" to being straight. This platform could even be built out of 2x4's You will need at least an 8 inch C clamp, bigger would be better. Get it lined up and start cranking on the C clamp handle slowly and watching and measuring. Take the center about an 1/8 of inch bent forward and it will spring back straight. If not do some more.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #14  
Looks as if you already have the assembly off the tractor. So position the bend arched above an anvil, section of railroad rail, or hard wood. Then hammer it flat like a bent nail.

Am guessing it won’t fit in your hydraulic press else do that.

If you have two heavy pieces of steel that could clamp over the bend I’m guessing you would need a very big c-clamp to straighten the bend.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #15  
that little steel bar is just A36 mild steel and it isn't all that thick. I bet a really strong man (not me) might be able to just grab it and yank it out. I am talking bodybuilder here.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #16  
It's a brush guard on a tractor.

It' ain't yer great aunt's fine silverware she hand carried from the old world.

Leave it be.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #17  
If it aint impinging on something else more important on the tractor, just repaint it and forget about it.
Like Diggin it said, it aint your great aunts fine silver.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #18  
This is one of those things that ain't that bad but will probably get worse the more it is messed with. I would call it the tractors first war wound and carry on as long it is not interfering with anything.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #19  
I would have chained it to a tree and backed up to try and pull it back straight.

/ I don't know how to bend steel. #20  
I'm not comfortable reattaching it and pulling on it. I don't want to tweak the frame, to be honest im surprised the frame isn't bent, its the same thickness.
If the frame didn't get tweaked on the initial impact, I doubt it would get tweaked with a correction.
I cannot tell you how many times I've done this (come along) with no result other than what was my intention.

If you are worried about this, and you have a clamp wide enough, just tie the two ends of the frame with the clamp. It's not going anywhere except to straighten the kink.

Last edited: