I don't understand something.

/ I don't understand something. #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
OK, I don't understand a lot of things, but that's another thread.

My little squirt is approaching 4 years old (wow, has it really been that long?) and it approaching 500 hours, or around 125 hours a year.. I don't use it very much. It sits for weeks sometime between tasks if I don't have to mow.

But I keep seeing threads and posts about 20, 30, 40 year old tractors with hour readings that work out to 20 hours a year or less. Is it that they have more than one machine and each gets lesser use than if they only had one? How do you spend $20,000 or so on something you use so little?

/ I don't understand something. #2  
Some people have more than one machine. My father's 2008 L2800 has >400 hours on it. I put that many on in two years. Yet when he bought it he also had 2 8Ns, a John Deere L, and his Ford 4400. He sold the L and one of the 8s, gave me the other because it needed quite a bit of work. Then he bought a nice running TO35 which he used for mowing and other chores.

Other people want a tractor but only use it for dedicated reasons. One person in town has an LS which he only uses for his garden. He's very frugal and intends to keep it for the rest of his life.

125 hours per year is quite a bit for a homeowner.

/ I don't understand something. #4  
Heck if my tractor could run a dang chainsaw it'd have a lot more hours on it
An hydraulic chainsaw running of the remotes. :)

Not gonna lie, I've almost done it but end up putting that project on the back burner.

/ I don't understand something. #5  

Not gonna lie, I've almost done it but end up putting that project on the back burner.
LOL I think I'd probably end up doing more damage than good :LOL:

/ I don't understand something. #6  

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. ;)

Hydraulic Chain Saws with Brake​

IDEAL FOR WET AND UNDERWATER ENVIRONMENTS​

• Model 5 1030 xxxx Hydraulic Chain Saw with Brake

Home

/ I don't understand something. #7  
Don't try to reinvent the wheel. ;)

Hydraulic Chain Saws with Brake​

IDEAL FOR WET AND UNDERWATER ENVIRONMENTS​

• Model 5 1030 xxxx Hydraulic Chain Saw with Brake

Home
If money was in abundance over here, I would definitely consider it.

The only reason why I thought about it was because I had a motor laying around that has now gone to another project, along with some long hoses, bar and chains.

/ I don't understand something. #8  
OK, I don't understand a lot of things, but that's another thread.

My little squirt is approaching 4 years old (wow, has it really been that long?) and it approaching 500 hours, or around 125 hours a year.. I don't use it very much. It sits for weeks sometime between tasks if I don't have to mow.

But I keep seeing threads and posts about 20, 30, 40 year old tractors with hour readings that work out to 20 hours a year or less. Is it that they have more than one machine and each gets lesser use than if they only had one? How do you spend $20,000 or so on something you use so little?
I think a lot of people are in the mindset that if they want a tool and can afford that tool then they buy that tool and use it as they see fit. ;)

Everyones’ financial situations are different. For some, a tractor is a really expensive purchase that may take a significant chunk of their income. It may take a lot of justification on paper with pencil as to if it makes financial sense to buy or not. For others, it’s not such a financial burden and they change tractors like pants. I’d guess most fall towards the first example.

/ I don't understand something. #9  
I'm pushing 80 hours this month and it's been too hot to work..... To muggy today - stayed inside most of the day.