Dirt Moving I finally started a business with my Kubota!

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #11  
He just needs to use his tractor more to get that pr hr cost down.

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #12  
I really like the name you chose. :thumbsup:

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #13  
Thanks Eric.....Auto Owners insurance had the best deal. It wasn't so much a hassle as it was a surprise at how much it was for a basic policy.

Insurance cost is one reason "Breezy Ridge Dirt Work" never took off. Tough business to be in, best of luck.

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #14  
He just needs to use his tractor more to get that pr hr cost down.

A business of any sort isn't much of a business if only doing 10 hrs a year. That's all I need to run mine to get the $32/hr rate Eric has.

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #15  
Good write up, I have been considering a similar idea when I retire. I did a job yesterday for a friend who wants to waterproof his basement walls. 12 hours yesterday and still about 5 hours to go. Had to break up two sets of steps (he did most of that!). In hindsight, it was probably too much for my hoe. I think the bucket is just too small.
image.jpeg

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #18  
My insurer as recently informed me that they are going to drop my commercial policy. I've been using my equipment for some logging work and now I am doing some biochar manufacturing with the waste wood. I've been working with several groups to test biochar as a cattle feed supplement at the university and when I mentioned a feed supplement as a possible application my insurance company decided they did not want to insure that risk. There is a fine line between being honest and upfront and giving too much information when dealing with insurance companies. Choose your words wisely.

/ I finally started a business with my Kubota! #19  
If you are passionate about small equipment (as I am) running a small business allows your toys (and many of the related costs to be expensed for tax purposes. It can be worth as much as the income.

As far as hourly or priced job. People are notorius for wasting your time on a costed job, not being ready, and so forth. Or worse, asking for more then you agreed to. Around here, with billions of stones, it's hard to say when a landscape job is ever finished.

A costed job can be a lot less stressfull.

My biggest obstacle has been the escalating cost of moving equipment legally. This has really become more of a giant tax grab around here and the myriad of possible fines can kill any profit in a hurry. It has become very, very unfavorable for the small time operator.

Last edited:
   / I finally started a business with my Kubota!
Thanks gwstang! :D