I found the limits of my loader

/ I found the limits of my loader #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
This is going to be a weird post, but I discovered another use for a fel, besides just moving dirt and rocks.

My brother lives next door thru a bunch of woods so we help each other out a lot. He's been restoring a 68 Nova for several years and has a real nice solid car in his barn which has been the object of his affection and years of part time work. He also has a very rotted parts cars that he has been salvaging lots of expensive parts off for years. It's been sitting in the woods between our houses for several years.

He had a severe stroke a year ago, and although he can get around ok, the limitations of his crippled arm and leg have taken their toll and he has to let go of the partially restored car and he wanted the parts car out of the way as well.

He found a buyer who will pick up the 2 cars this weekend..... but the parts car needed to be pulled out of the woods. It's been sitting for so long that we weren't sure the wheels would turn, so I offered to try and lift the front end and drag it out of the woods with my Mahindra 3016. He didn't want to just try and pull it as he didn't want to damage the bumper and grill. We took the hood off which had been protecting the 283 engine and dropped a chain down and wrapped it around the frame. I moved the bucket over the radiator and hooked on. I was able to just lift the front end of that car off the ground, but not by much. Curling the bucket lifted the front end high enough to get it up over the stumps, rocks and other stuff in the woods. Backing up in 4WD low, the tractor creeped perfectly out of the woods, with the car in tow.

I don't know what the front end of the complete car weighed but it was just at the limit of the lift capabilities of the tractor. If we had been able to leave the hood on, I couldn't have lifted it !

I'm pleased that it was able to do what it did, as I had no idea if it would. Now I can add one more item to the list of things I can tell people when they ask me what I need a loader for. :)

it was a beautiful Fall day and a great day to be in the woods.

The 3016/1526 is a great machine that hasn't disappointed me yet. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a tractor without an FEL.

If anyone should ask you how much your tractor will lift, just tell them the front end of a 60's Nova.

Last edited:
   / I found the limits of my loader #2  
That's great news that you where able to get the job done. To me a FEL is a must. It's a big time game changer when it comes down to functionality of you tractor. The lift capability of the Mahindra is why i chose to buy one. My is a 2565 and I love it. My dad has a JD E5100 (100 hp) and my brother has a Mpower 85 (85 hp) My brother can lift more on the FEL and the 3 point. Don't get me wrong JD makes good equipment but I'm very impressed with Mahindra.

/ I found the limits of my loader #3  
I've moved around several cars like this using either my tractor or forklift. I don't have any idea what my forklift is rated to lift, but it will pick up the back end of a 24,000 pound loader.

/ I found the limits of my loader #4  
I know when I bought my tractor the loader was not considered an option; might as well called it standard equipment. The cab was optional the loader was not. Ended up with both and very happy for it. :D

/ I found the limits of my loader #6  
LOL, I know that I exceed loader limits when my rear end lifts itself off the ground. (and my tires are loaded +I have a 300# weight.)
I guess that this confirms the ruggedness of my Mitsubishi and good hydraulics.

Mind you I always say that if you don't slam into things but let hydraulics do the work you won't break anything. (well perhaps a hose might rupture, but that's relatively cheap)

/ I found the limits of my loader #8  
Doing that kind of stuff, figuring out how to do something that is at the limits...that's fun. Unless you break something of course. :)

/ I found the limits of my loader #9  
Sorry to hear of your brother's stroke and parting with his cars. I was rather fond of Nova's. I didn't think they put a 283 in a 68.

Anyhow... its good you didn't try to pull it with the bumper. When our 70 rusted out, my mom and I grabbed the bumper and pulled it off the car by hand! :laughing:

/ I found the limits of my loader
Doing that kind of stuff, figuring out how to do something that is at the limits...that's fun. Unless you break something of course. :)

When you're retired, stuff like that keeps you happy.

I thought he said it was a 68, possibly I'm wrong. It is a 283 for sure.