I got a dump truck! How does it work?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #61  
Glad you got it going..!! My hearing isn't the best but sounds like the old girl has a Detroit in it.

I'd suggest blowing the air tank(s) on it occasionally. If it hasn't been done lately, could be a buildup of oily/water mix in the tank(s). Just crack it slow, as that crap will blow out in every direction.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work?
Your ears are pretty good! It's got an 8.something Detroit turbo in it.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #63  
Yeah, thats a counterproductive rule... Here in Europe, we have air brakes on just about anything, while America is sticking to (most of the time) barely adequate electric brakes...

When i read people on TBN say that a one ton truck is better because the truck is doing most of the brake work, i just shake my head... brake force should be proportional to the axle load, and if electric brakes cant provide that, you need air brakes.

15 years ago i worked at a company in the light commercial trailer business. We had a customer who imported luxury 5th wheel horse trailers from the USA, and we converted them to European axles with air brakes: Dexter axles with electric brakes just couldnt deliver the mandatory retardation and therefor couldnt get a European approval.
This just tells me you have no knowledge of how to properly install, maintain, and use electric brake systems. I’ve pulled trailers with electric brakes all over the Rocky Mountains for over 50 years and never felt they were inadequate. I’ve also driven class 8 trucks for almost 50 years and have a good understanding of air brake systems. Most, if not almost all problems with electric brakes are self inflicted. You seem to have a need to point out how superior European ways are to us. When you were telling us about your superior trucks, I asked how many American trucks you’d driven on American highways. None. So, how many properly installed - proper sized wire, quality brake controller (not some $100 pendulum activated crapper) etc., electric brake trailers have you pulled?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #64  
You seem to have a need to point out how superior European ways are to us. When you were telling us about your superior trucks, I asked how many American trucks you’d driven on American highways. None.
Whether you like it or not, ALL current US truck engine technology comes from Europe: Detroit builds Mercedes engines, Navistar produces MAN designs, Volvo is Swedish anyway, Paccar engines are developed in my home country by Daf. And Cummins took the lead when the other American manufacturers hit a brick wall with their inadequate EGR based emission technology because their European branch had built up expertise with DEF based emission compliant engines.

Then, i worked for an air suspension manufacturer 8 years ago. For a Canadian feed trailer manufacturer we were asked to do a benchmark test of their standard Hendrickson suspension which they had longevity problems with, under trailers that did a lot of twisting and turning delivering feed at farmyards, against our standard 9 ton transcontinental setup. They thought we were pulling their leg when our standard setup outlasted the Hendrickson kit by a factor of 7... We offered to pay them a hotel in the city so they could monitor the fatigue test with their own eyes, if they sent another Hendrickson set over for testing... We could hardly believe this difference ourselves either, but the number of cycles before total failure, was what it was...

So yes, ive been involved in benchmark testing that proved European vehicle technology vastly superior to American. The customer didnt even need our heavy duty variant which is used by Australian road train manufacturers, even the standard duty on-road kit vastly outlives American kit.

So, how many properly installed - proper sized wire, quality brake controller (not some $100 pendulum activated crapper) etc., electric brake trailers have you pulled?
Ive never pulled one that functioned properly. I did hire an electric over hydraulic trailer, which worked surprisingly well. Automatic brake force to load adjustment, it worked surprisingly well...

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #65  
Ive never pulled one that functioned properly. I did hire an electric over hydraulic trailer, which worked surprisingly well. Automatic brake force to load adjustment, it worked surprisingly well...
So, the short answer to my question, asking if you had experience with a properly installed and maintained electric trailer brake system is no.

Also, we used Hendrickson biscuit suspension on trucks in the woods for years. Amazingly tough and dependable.

But, this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. All done here.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #66  
So, the short answer to my question, asking if you had experience with a properly installed and maintained electric trailer brake system is no.
Indeed. They never functioned good for long in our experience and i find all these systems hack jobs. The North American systems that do get sold here are electric over hydraulic, albeit at a different price level.
But, this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. All done here.
Good. No need to ask me questions of which you dont want to hear the answer...

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #67  
Yeah, thats a counterproductive rule... Here in Europe, we have air brakes on just about anything, while America is sticking to (most of the time) barely adequate electric brakes...

When i read people on TBN say that a one ton truck is better because the truck is doing most of the brake work, i just shake my head... brake force should be proportional to the axle load, and if electric brakes cant provide that, you need air brakes.

15 years ago i worked at a company in the light commercial trailer business. We had a customer who imported luxury 5th wheel horse trailers from the USA, and we converted them to European axles with air brakes: Dexter axles with electric brakes just couldnt deliver the mandatory retardation and therefor couldnt get a European approval.
I agree that Europe embraces air brakes more than US, but we have a LOT of air brakes on trucks here. Trailers, too.
I just wish they’d use air brakes on more Ag equipment here. My baler is made by Krone (Germany) and the US versions they export to here are hydraulic brakes. My bigger tractors have air brakes, because they came from Europe (even though they are American brands) but trying to get a large square baler over here with air brakes is difficult. They are finally becoming available, but VERY expensive when new.
USA farming is still living in a “family farm” mentality, where equipment isn’t on the road much. In Europe, farm tractors are all over the roads, going from field to field and also to get supplies. I was in Italy and farm tractors are used for everything.
I farm “European-style” in that I travel from farm to farm. Therefore I actually seek-out European built Ag equipment.

The Netherlands is like 1/16th the size of the USA, but ranks 2nd in the world to the US for Ag production. Thats really amazing. They know their stuff and need to be acknowledged for their farming skills. It’s a damn shame what their government is doing to their farmers.

Wish we could get those DAF or SCANIA, TATRA, or Magirus trucks here.
Fellas, these trucks are amazing….

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #68  
This just tells me you have no knowledge of how to properly install, maintain, and use electric brake systems. I’ve pulled trailers with electric brakes all over the Rocky Mountains for over 50 years and never felt they were inadequate. I’ve also driven class 8 trucks for almost 50 years and have a good understanding of air brake systems. Most, if not almost all problems with electric brakes are self inflicted. You seem to have a need to point out how superior European ways are to us. When you were telling us about your superior trucks, I asked how many American trucks you’d driven on American highways. None. So, how many properly installed - proper sized wire, quality brake controller (not some $100 pendulum activated crapper) etc., electric brake trailers have you pulled?

The standard electric drum brakes with drag magnets are pretty lacking for heavy loads. They work good enough when they’re brand new but they don’t wear in very good. The trailers with disk hydraulic brakes are way better supposedly but I’ve never had one. I know that my F-750 truck with air brakes has a lot stronger brakes than my 6500 truck with hydraulic brakes had. In my opinion once a truck has 22.5 tires it needs air brakes.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #69  
The standard electric drum brakes with drag magnets are pretty lacking for heavy loads. They work good enough when they’re brand new but they don’t wear in very good. The trailers with disk hydraulic brakes are way better supposedly but I’ve never had one. I know that my F-750 truck with air brakes has a lot stronger brakes than my 6500 truck with hydraulic brakes had. In my opinion once a truck has 22.5 tires it needs air brakes.
It’s a weight issue, not a tire size issue

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #70  
It’s a weight issue, not a tire size issue

Obviously, but the 22.5 tires are enabling you to run more weight. 19.5 tire trucks top out at 26k and usually aren’t even that much. Basically if you need 22.5s then you also need air brakes.