I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related)

/ I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related) #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
I have a 20 ft Big Tex 70CH that I haul my stuff on.
Last Friday, due to vehicle issues, I had to pick my son up from his job. They had a scale, I was latched on to my trailer, so...
I backed the trailer onto the scale, dropped the jack and lifted the tongue off my hitch so all the rig would weigh.

8280 Pounds!!!!

Only 1280 pounds over loaded.
Dang!

I've hauled this thing all over hades and half of Georgia. I knew I was heavy but I didn't know I was that much over.

I guess I'll start saving my pennies.

/ I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related) #2  
I was doing the same thing for years with a 7000lb trailer. It would just have been a matter of time. I beat the odds with a new 14K this summer. Now most of the time I will be well under the trailers capabilities but that is much safer than way over all the time.

/ I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related) #3  
This may sound strange, but you may not really be overweight.
The designation given to a trailer is based on the sum of its axles. IN your case two 3500 lb axles give a 7000 lb rating for the trailer.
However, what you weighed was the combination of the axles and jacks. You would never (I know :rolleyes: never say never) be weighed like this on a set of scales. If you hitch weight is 1500 lbs, then the axle weight would be 6780 lbs. Assuming the load is equal between axles, you're OK.
The load on the trailer is shared between the truck & trailer, so as long as the axle ratings on the trailer & truck and the combination ratings are not exceeded you are ok on weight.

Flame on!;)

/ I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related) #4  
next time place the jack on the ground and see what it weighs less tongue weight.

generally you shoot for about 10% of total trailer weight. (in your case ~800 lbs)

/ I guess I need to look for a new trailer. (weight related)
Firedog,
would you believe that I believe you?
In my shopping for trailers I have seen many instances where the combined rating of the axles was less than the GVWR of the trailer,
case in point, a trailer that I am considering...
PJ Trailers - Classic Flatdeck with Singles
This trailer GVWR is 15680 and the axle rating is 14000 and one would assume that with the trailer loaded to the max, 14000 would be carried on the axles and 1680 would be carried on the hitch.

Here's where I think your logic is flawed, my GVWR is 7000. There is no provision for the amount carried on the hitch. I know what your saying, the axles are not carrying the entire load but the trailer is and the construction of the trailer is right for 7000 LBS.

On the PJ site, one notable fact comes out.
ALL Goosenecks are rated at a Higher GVWR than combined axle rating.
All of the bumper pulls are rated at the combined axle rating.
Mine is a bumper pull.
One other thing to add to this long winded post, one of the manufactures that I spoke to builds a particular trailer, (a dump) in both gooseneck and bumper pull. They are identical except for the hitch, axle location and weight rating. The goose neck is of course rated higher and the fella told me that they set the axles further back on the gooseneck to transfer more load to the truck and gain the additional GVWR with the same running gear.

No flames. :)

Besides, I'm using that to justify to the little lady that I need a new trailer.
;)

next time place the jack on the ground and see what it weighs less tongue weight.

generally you shoot for about 10% of total trailer weight. (in your case ~800 lbs)

Or just leave it hooked to my truck. My rear tires were off the scale.

Assuming :) 10% I still have 7450 pounds on the axles.:(

Wow
a whole nuther thread going on about weight.