I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor?

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #71  
We've had a Grasshopper 721D with 5' mulching RD deck since year 2003 and it does an excellent job in chewing up grass clippings!

Never need to rake after mowing, however we have to watch the ground speed in extra tall grass.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #72  
IMG_2313.JPG

Great cut, great mulch, great pickup for lawns for some B size tractors. 140 blades plus vacuum paddle blades. Can add de thatching blades. No longer made but used ones can be found. Several similar import models available new.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #73  
Certainly many good thoughts and recommendations. I use a BX or a B3030 and what comes to mind is the engine RPM's in addition to a clean deck, sharp blades and mowing height. My BX 2360 will leave rows if I don't keep the engine rpm's 2800-3000. And my b3030 is the same. Even though I don't have any passerby's or neighbors near I keep my chute on to keep the grass dust etc directed away from irritating my eyes even though I use sunglasses. That stuff had a tendency to drift in from the eyeglass sides if I rise the chute.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #74  
Thats a lot of RPMs. My tractor operates anywhere from 1800 rpm to 2200 rpm in heavy stuff with the flail. I never run my tractor at high rpm.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #75  
I use a B series kubota with a 60" belly mower with the blades it came with just replaced a few times. My yard is 3 1/2 acres and i have a field of 11 acres that i bush hog once a year with a older model B series tractor that was my uncles. All of it is pretty flat with a few trees.

It's only been 5 days since i last mowed the lawn and yet again i have grass all over the place just rows of it.

I asks my friends they say mow more often.......well it's only been 5 days and last time i raked the grass and it has not rained.

My neighbor never rakes his yard the only difference is he has a zero turn mower. So what is the difference? he mows every friday.

Only thing i can think of is mulching blades maybe?

I need to down size as i have

2 kubota b series tractors.
2 lawn mowers like the ones you buy at lowes. I use one to mow under the trees takes all of 10min.
A few b series attachments a rear 3 point snow blower, rear blade, front blade and a 5ft bush hog

I feel like i should trade both b series tractors in on a L series or the biggest B series and buy a zero turn mower and be done with it.

I do need a tractor to blow snow and bush hog but that may come to a end if i lease out the 11 acres to a farmer to plant crops.

I'm just tired of grass raking every year. Money is no issue i'm at the stage of live where it's more about convenience.
I mow with a Ryobi ZT480e (48v). First thing I did was to remove the chute and to put the blank over the hole that they provided. Have used nothing but mulching mowers for a # of years.

If you only mow once/yr with a bush hog, then you'll have grass pileup for a couple of weeks before it degrades enough to blend in. No sweat.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #76  
I would not remove the deflector as there is potential to either throw objects around your house (breaking a window) or have a ricochet and hit yourself.

I actually mow down 2" as I only mow every 2-3 weeks since it takes me 3 hrs to mow. 🤠

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #77  
IMG_2319.JPG

Recent acquired sales brochure.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #78  
Exmark Laser Z or similar zero turn with a fabricated deck and high blade tip speed (18,500 FPM)
Cut grass at 3.25"
Leave chute door tilted up

No issues with grass clumps, can't even see where the cut grass landed. I would say it is dispersed perfectly.

On that note, this mower will cover you with dust and small pieces of grass.
Absolutely must were pants, hat, safety glasses, etc. At certain times I feel like you almost need a mask. It blows up a ton from in between the front wheels.
I'm thinking about putting some type of mud flap or something to cut down on this

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #79  
Cut the grass at 3-3.5 inches. Throw the grass clipping back onto the mowed area or out. If you throw grass clipping in onto the uncut grass you will have windrows because you are in effect raking the grass with the mower into a wind row for baling, except you or me will be using a rake instead. Those B series Kubota‘s are great mowers. They ride and cut good.

I still regret trading my 2920 hydro for a JD 2305 TLB/M combo. The first thing I noticed was I went from a three speed hydro to a two speed.

Please don’t remove and throw away the deflector shield. If you want greater spread of the grass tie the shield up with a bungee cord. The shield on my 2920 Kubota was metal, not plastic.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #80  
Not sure where the OP is so it may not be applicable. If it were me here in East Central IL, I would till about 2 acres of my yard and plant a prairie mix that supports Monarch butterflies and bees. There are 2 very nice houses I pass on the way to town that did this when they were first built. The houses are set back about 500 ft. from the road, they have a yard area and then a prairie area. They mow a "frame about 30ft wide around the prairie area. These are high end very expensive houses with a split rail fence along the road. If I wanted the yard and frame area to look really nice I would bag it.