I have a hydraulic leak

/ I have a hydraulic leak #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I have had a small leak at the oil filter seal for some time. Very slow and figured I would address it when I change the filter.

But now I am seeing more oil on the ground. I traced the leak to what looks like a very small set screw (could be an NPT or some variant) that is near the bottom of the transmission a few inches below the oil filter. Looks like a 4mm allen wrench will fit it.
When I wiped away the grime, I saw a sliver of pipe tape. :unsure:

I bought it with 80 hours so someone along the way band-aided as best they knew how.

Hoping someone here has a better way of sealing it without retapping it to a larger size. I can do that as a last resort.
I am pretty sure pipe tape was a bad choice but not sure of better options at that temp right on the tranny.

Ideas appreciated.

/ I have a hydraulic leak #2  
Root
Have you tried tightening the plug? Might be that simple to stop the leak. Just use your judgement on how tight is tight. Teflon tape is only a problem if wrapped past end of fitting or when removing and reinstalling a fitting.

/ I have a hydraulic leak
Thanks O for replying.

Yes, i did tighten it as much as I thought I could. My main concern was teflon tape not being a good solution for this heat or this pressure so thought I would see what else would be better.