I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
As some of you may have seen I just acquired some property in Tennessee. Over 80 acres, plenty of stuff to do :)

I'm for sure getting a tractor, or using the tractor that is there (l3000) But I also want/need a smaller mower for what I am going to call the house yard. I'm not sure the size but over 1 ac and less than 10

I think I have ruled out a ZT. I really think for me a smaller lawn tractor is going to fit.

Am I crazy for wanting it to be diesel? It seems to me I would have to only worry about 1 fuel, not that 2 fuels are that big of a deal. Plus I will admit I just like diesel engines a little better than gas but really I know both can get the job done.

I am thinking 48" deck just to keep it a little more gate/space friendly. I will go a little larger if forced.

So as I said in my other thread, I know very little about what is out there. I have just never been in this space so this is all new ground so to speak.

Assuming budget can be very large this one time, what should I look at that will last. Not really looking for to many useless features, but build quality etc.

Is it just Kubota GR and JD X7xx series in this space? Am I crazy for going this level?

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #2  
How much lawn are you planning on mowing and how much time do you expect to spend getting it done? 1 Acre with a lawn tractor is not too bad, but 10....

Hilly, flat ?
Any areas that need special attention (wet, rocky etc.)?
How tall is the grass and is it all grass now where you want it to be?

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #3  
A diesel lawn mower is going to cost you a lot more than a gas one. For example a Kubota GR2120 is $10k while a Husqvarna TS348XD is under $4k. The Kubota is probably higher quality but I doubt it's anywhere close to $6k worth. It's your money of course and if it really floats your boat maybe it's worth it to you.

You're going to end up having gas around anyhow for one or more of UTV, log splitter, chainsaws, generator.

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #4  
I mow 3.8 acres each month directly around my house,, with a diesel GR2120 54" and it works effortless to achieve a quality cut on the lawn. Diesel is strong enough to handle those occasional times when extended rains keep you from mowing and the grass gets quite high. I love that lawn tractor.

But don't eliminate gas powered lawn tractors from your purchase options. Specifically tractors using Kawaski or Kohler engines are rock solid reliable, and nearly as good as diesel and a lot less money....especially if your budget is constrained. I also mow a 9.2 acre field with large trees on this same property, and that's mowed with a 60" Gravely Zeroturn powered by Kawaski engine. Different tools for different jobs.

Last edited:
   / I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor
How much lawn are you planning on mowing and how much time do you expect to spend getting it done? 1 Acre with a lawn tractor is not too bad, but 10....

Hilly, flat ?
Any areas that need special attention (wet, rocky etc.)?
How tall is the grass and is it all grass now where you want it to be?
So I plan on spending a lot of time on the property. Of course I don't want all that time being mowing but I really have no expectations at this point. I can put my music on and happily spend an hour or two mowing in the mornings.

Near the house it is kind of flat but there are some hills. Hilly enough in areas that it was part of the reason I ruled out a ZT.
No special areas I am aware of.
Grass was mowed a bit ago. It's getting to the point I feel I need to act soon now that it is mine. Want to keep in reasonably short but not scalped

A diesel lawn mower is going to cost you a lot more than a gas one. For example a Kubota GR2120 is $10k while a Husqvarna TS348XD is under $4k. The Kubota is probably higher quality but I doubt it's anywhere close to $6k worth. It's your money of course and if it really floats your boat maybe it's worth it to you.

You're going to end up having gas around anyhow for one or more of UTV, log splitter, chainsaws, generator.
Good point on the gas for sure, and pretty obvious that I'm going to give myself a smack for not thinking of that. As for budget, I have this one time chance to be a little spendy, so I am considering higher end items. They will be used plenty and will have to last. Buy once, cry once.

I mow 3.8 acres each month directly around my house,, with a diesel GR2120 54" and it works effortless to achieve a quality cut on the lawn. Diesel is strong enough to handle those occasional times when extended rains keep you from mowing and the grass gets quite high. I love that lawn tractor.

But don't eliminate gas powered lawn tractors from your purchase options. Specifically tractors using Kawaski or Kohler engines are rock solid reliable, and nearly as good as diesel and a lot less money....especially if your budget is constrained. I also mow a 9.2 acre field with large trees on this same property, and that's mowed with a 60" Gravely Zeroturn powered by Kawaski engine. Different tools for different jobs.
thanks for the feedback on the Kubota. Gas is not out of the question. Diesel is a wish item so to speak, not a deal breaker.

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #6  
When we bought our 20 acres 25 years ago the down payment pretty much tapped us out. I knew we'd need a chainsaw and a generator right away, and a lawn mower in the spring. When spring came around we were still recovering from writing all those checks and didn't want to spend a lot. We ended up with a Sabre by Deere lawn tractor. It's still mowing, albeit with a front axle replacement (stupid bearingless front hubs wore out the original). It's still on the original belts.

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #7  
I went to diesel mowers about 15 years ago and never regretted it. Yes, initial expense is higher, but in my case longevity and fuel handling come into play. I made the move when I began cutting my 6 acres of yard, and the estimated break even point was longer than expected, but a diesel will save money eventually.

I now mow 30 acres per week, so diesel is a no brainer.

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #8  
Near the house it is kind of flat but there are some hills. Hilly enough in areas that it was part of the reason I ruled out a ZT.

IMO the whole “ZTRs don’t work with hills” thing is a borderline wives tale. That’s not to mean they work great on hills because they don’t, but I don’t find them worse than any regular tractor. I used to be where you are and almost got a lawn tractor because I was worried all my hills would be a problem. I went back and forth and back and forth but after mowing multiple hilly acres every week for years I thank sweet baby Jesus I went with the ZTR instead. The caveat of course is how you define “hilly” so YMMV.

/ I have one opportunity to get it somewhat right -- Lawn tractor #9  
This might change your mind about ZTR’s.