I just learned a valuable lesson!!

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #11  
It doesn't seem strictly a "he said she said" since work was done in the past and paid for, it is reasonable to expect that work done recently would also be for pay and not a freebie.

However, it is probably better to just accept it as a lesson and wonder who the deadbeat will stiff next time. Might come back to haunt him when emergency work is needed, and the price has mysteriously become much higher and cash in advance.

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #12  
I believe you would have a case in Small Claims Court, especially in Texas.

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #13  
Show up with your tractor and tell him you are here to un-do the job you did.

Dan

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #14  
What?!
Did the judge think you did the work just for giggles?

If you were denied your claim due to no contract, then why doesn't the neighbor file charges against you for vanalizing his property with your tractor?

I would think if you had shown past payments for verbal contracts that it would stand to reason there was a pattern of your neighbor and you doing business this way.

Did he deny that he asked you to do the work or what? More details!!

Last edited by a moderator:
   / I just learned a valuable lesson!! #15  
In small claims court don't BOTH party have to be present? Need to file the complaint and make sure it's in the middle of his work day or better yet his vacation. I agree with one of the comments. I'd show some day with a plow and undo my work. You can get a used plow for abut $300.
Look for evidence of the last few times he hired you AND PAYED you.

Wedge

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #16  
The problem with civil courts and payments is that they cant make the guy pay the money even if found guilty. You could file a judgement agains the property, but still not collect anything and if he is not planning to sell, then you would just wait it out. I am reminded of a tale by a landlord who had several houses for rent, he had one renter who wouldnt pay (California ) and when he tried to evict him, he had to take him to court. The guy would loose the court case, pay him $5 on the judgement and never pay again. He would then have to take him back to court. He said this went on till the guy moved out on his own after more than a year of rent free living. Best thing is to just take you lumps and pass the word around town that the guy wont pay. His good name will suffer much more than $300 if you let all the folks you meet know the non-payment of debt by this person. If you talk it up right, he will wish he had paid you for sure. Not a lawyer, but I cant see this being a slander issue either

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #17  
It is really sad people can lie with a straight face with no remorse. I feel guilty when I tell people what I would charge them even though its fair. I kind of just do things for myself lately and I have no regrets. I guess when it comes to the almighty $$$$ you find out whom your friends aren,t

You think any of those people that I heard/saw on TV last Sept - Oct - Nov had a straight face?:rolleyes:

I think I've posted this before but here it is again;
"You go into court as a pig and come out as sausage." :D

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #18  
Word of mouth will hurt the guy worse than if he had just paid for the work as agreed upon.

I once saw a man get even with a dealership he had a problem with and apparently had no satisfaction. He parked his pickup out front on the street with a bed packed full of lemons and a big sign. He gave away the lemons by the bag full and "discussed" his problem with anyone who would listen. It soon attracted a TV news crew and made the evening news. The dealership called the cops on him, but they said he was on a public street and legally parked. The cameras cought it all!
I'll bet that dealership wished they had taken care of him. What comes around goes around.

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #19  
Word of mouth will hurt the guy worse than if he had just paid for the work as agreed upon.

I once saw a man get even with a dealership he had a problem with and apparently had no satisfaction. He parked his pickup out front on the street with a bed packed full of lemons and a big sign. He gave away the lemons by the bag full and "discussed" his problem with anyone who would listen. It soon attracted a TV news crew and made the evening news. The dealership called the cops on him, but they said he was on a public street and legally parked. The cameras cought it all!
I'll bet that dealership wished they had taken care of him. What comes around goes around.

Many years ago, in Dallas, a fellow painted his car with big lemons all over it, and then parked it every day for quite some time across the street from the dealership where he had bought it.

/ I just learned a valuable lesson!! #20  
I see some suggestions in this thread to do some illegal things. Such posts should NOT be made.