I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off

/ I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off #1  

Timwbergeron

Tractor
Ventrac 4500 Z / Ford 641 Workmaster
Hi all! First time poster here, and new Ventrac 4500Z owner who managed to go 19.2 hours on it before breaking it.

I've been using the Tough Cut to try to reclaim the edges of a bunch of fields on the farm I'm moving into. The property hasn't totally been maintained over the past 20 or so years and the edges of the fields have all manner of volunteer trees, blackberries, briars, privet, you name it. Figured it was about time to clean some of it up.

The Tough Cut has handled it like a champ. I'm sure I'm pushing it a bit too hard in some parts with regards to how thick some of these hedges are, but as long as I take it pretty slow things have been fine, until this past weekend, when I somehow managed to knock one of the optional swivel tires in front of the mower off of its wheel. My guess is I sort of wedged it between two stumps or something that I couldn't see given how thick some of this brush is, then pulled it off when I backed up, or something. Adding the pictures as an attachment (I think).

IMG_2898.jpgIMG_2908.jpgIMG_2909.jpg

Anyway, my auto mechanic down the street was up to the challenge, but the fact that these tires are just one big rubber piece without the hollow middle made it entertaining. He legitimately boiled the tire in some water for an hour in order to get it flexible enough to muscle it over. Granted, a dedicated tire shop might have had the tools needed, but I figured I'd at least share this here in case anyone happens to manage to do this in the future.

/ I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off #2  
Welcome to TBN! :welcome:

Thanks for posting that! Never can tell when that kind of info can become, unfortunately, useful.

Enjoy your Ventrac! It looks like it's definitely a good one.

/ I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off #3  
That is impressive! You should be proud - these things are hard to break!

Well done!

/ I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off #4  
Better the tire than part of the rotational assembly.

/ I managed to pop the swivel tire of on a tough cut mower off #5  
As I read your thread title I was thinking "heat it in scalding water". Glad that it worked. While doing the same job with my "Z" and tough cut I managed to schred a belt or two, mangle the belt guard, and severely bend a wheel yolk (the big heavy "U" shaped part of the wheel swivel). Like you, I could not see how it happed in thich multiflora rose and olive brush. My dealer said he had never sold a replacement yolk before.

prs