I really did it this time

/ I really did it this time #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
Some time back, LBrown59 started a thread on "Today's Seat Time. Then Johndeere3720 started a picture thread for John Deeres. I posted a couple there, but I feel like this really deserves its' own thread. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I was clipping the weeds in a hay meadow. We've had a lot of rain over the last 5 months, but I didn't realize how wet it was. In fact, the day before, (Friday) I had pulled a fertilize buggy with 4 tons of Ammonium Sulphate in it over this same pasture - with no problem. The tractor just fell in. No warning. I wasn't even leaving ruts. It just dropped and stuck so hard and fast that it stalled the engine.

The first picture is a close-up of the JD 5085M. Notice the "easy access" to the cab. Hardly a step at all. ;)

I then called my cousin and borrowed his CAT 420 Tractor/Loader/Backhoe. I never got close to the tractor. The TLB fell through as well. :eek: The second pic shows the CAT TLB turned 180 degrees from its' original position. I had walked it around with the hoe, but still couldn't get it out. BTW, I've been running backhoes for 30 years and have owned two myself. I've never before been so stuck with a TLB that I couldn't get it out.

We wound up going to my cousin's equipment yard and getting several "mud mats." Using my TN70A 4wd tractor, we skidded the mats up close enough that we could get them under the hoe and eventually the front bucket. Then, we put enough of them behind the TLB that we could get to firmer ground. Then, we repeated the process for the JD tractor. Five hours later, we had both machines out and started cleaning them up with the pressure washer.

So, here for your amusement and viewing pleasure, are the only two pics I have of this mess:

Click on thumbnail for full-size pic.

/ I really did it this time #2  
I don't think the title really does it justice, you really got yourself in a rut! That must have been a very pleasant day;)

/ I really did it this time #3  
Heck of way to spend day...arrrrrrr.

/ I really did it this time #5  
Wow. That field doesn't look wet at all from the pics, that's pretty strange to sink like that. Different soil type in that spot?

/ I really did it this time #6  
Quick sand?????

Wow is about all I can say

/ I really did it this time #7  
Whoa... that is a strange situation! The field looks great. And you just spread fertilizer on it.

Up here, you'll have a kinda similar situation with an isolated pocket of frost. Everywhere around it is good and firm and one day... the frost will go out and bluck! You got a sinkhole! Really have to watch out along tree lines or any shaded spot.

Hard to imagine how enough water migrated to that area to create a soft spot like that. :confused:

Five hours is all... you done really well on that! Lookin' at the pics it looks like a full days chore! :mad:

Be in there with the rototiller and a hand seeder soon as it dries up some, huh?

AKfish

/ I really did it this time #8  
Nice! It is so dry here right now, I was able to fill in ruts that a stuck backhoe made about 5 weeks ago. One was 2+ feet deep -- the guy must have sunk to the belly.

/ I really did it this time #9  
That TLB must have REALLY been stuck!
You were lucky to have access to the mats!

/ I really did it this time
I don't think the title really does it justice, you really got yourself in a rut! That must have been a very pleasant day;)
Heck of way to spend day...arrrrrrr.
Wow....that must have been no fun...:(
Like my cousin said, "It could have been a lot worse."

Wow. That field doesn't look wet at all from the pics, that's pretty strange to sink like that. Different soil type in that spot?
Quick sand?????
Wow is about all I can say
Just sandy soil and lots of ground water. I've only seen it this wet twice before in my 50 years. Once, when I was a kid, I stuck the old JD B about 100 yards north of this. The other time was nearly twenty years ago and I stuck a 450 bulldozer about 100 feet from this area.

Whoa... that is a strange situation! The field looks great. And you just spread fertilizer on it.
Up here, you'll have a kinda similar situation with an isolated pocket of frost. Everywhere around it is good and firm and one day... the frost will go out and bluck! You got a sinkhole! Really have to watch out along tree lines or any shaded spot.
Hard to imagine how enough water migrated to that area to create a soft spot like that. :confused:
Five hours is all... you done really well on that! Lookin' at the pics it looks like a full days chore! :mad:
Be in there with the rototiller and a hand seeder soon as it dries up some, huh?
That's what makes it so strange. Just the day before and no problems. We have very sandy soil. The sod "crust" is dry. It hasn't rained here in several days. But, once you break through that crust, you're gone. The only solid ground is the clay subsoil, and it's about 4' down in that pasture. And it wasn't just a soft spot. That area is probably 3-4 acres. If you went through the same tracks two or three times, the ground would just give away.
BTW: No FROST here! :laughing:
Tiller yes, hand seeder no. Coastal Bermuda. Has to be sprigged. But, it will be a few days before I try that. :D

Nice! It is so dry here right now, I was able to fill in ruts that a stuck backhoe made about 5 weeks ago. One was 2+ feet deep -- the guy must have sunk to the belly.
Not dry here. 29" of rain since Jan 1. But, thank God for the rain! We only had 21" total rainfall for 2011. (and have been in a drought for 4 years)

That TLB must have REALLY been stuck!
You were lucky to have access to the mats!
Yep, it's nice that cuz owns a construction company and the mats were at the yard, six miles away.