I think I found the answer...

/ I think I found the answer... #1  

Anonymous Poster

A universal owning/operating issue?

I've noticed there is a common thread among tractor owners here. Those around us seem to suffer confusion when referring to us and/or our tractors. I have often wondered how folks who are otherwise pretty clever mix up words like work and play, or tool and toy. Heck, work and play don't even start with the same letter!

A comment made by my daughter at the dinner table last week led me to understand that us tractor users may share a common affliction: "PermaGrin."

PermaGrin sneaks up on the tractor operator causing his facial characteristics to change while he is working with his favorite tool (and friend). Unknowingly, while accomplishing an amazing amount of work in a short time, we are silently broadcasting to the world and those around us that work does not have to be an undesirable task. Imagine how nice it would be to go to the supermarket, or any store for that matter, if everyone there felt the same about their cash registers and customers as we do our tractors!

I have tried, but failed in my attempt to bring those around me back to reality and to end their confusion regarding words like work and play, tool and toy...as well as others that pop up now and then. If anyone comes up with a cure for PermaGrin please post it here. My attempt was a terrible failure. I found that the attempted cure was worse than just bearing the brunt of the results of the affliction.

Being accused of playing when working did not hurt anywhere as bad as trying to erase PermaGrin by sitting on that thumbtack while the tractor bounced over the bumps in the yard!

Guess I'll just have to continue to PermaGrin and bear it... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I think I found the answer... #2  
Excellent HENRO

... and who would really want a cure for PermaGrin??

Not any of the tractor and tool smitten folks I know!

Bob

/ I think I found the answer...
Once you get PermaGrin it is with you for the rest of your life. There is no cure and there will never be a cure because no one is looking for one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

/ I think I found the answer... #5  
Now keep in mind that I've only been a "tractor owner" for about two weeks (as of tomorrow - but who's counting). Anyway, I too was faced with the same dilemma - how to keep those around me from confusing my work efforts with play time. My CFO was the most difficult as she wanted to experience "seat time" as well. However, she seems to have been convinced this past weekend when the temp hit 102 degrees in the shade. Working without a canopy and kicking up enough dust to choke a horse seems to have done the trick. The dust, combined with the sweat pouring off her brow, created a rather gruesome mess that could only be described as mud. Unless she determines that this is somehow good for her complexion, I think I'm good for go! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least until this fall.

/ I think I found the answer...
When I came home from a 10 hour day of moving brush piles to the East against an Easterly wind, dirt flying, and looked like a chimney sweep, the dirt masked my PermaGrin and convinced my CFO for all time that the tractor is hard work and an undesirable place for her. Now, every time I climb off, I am greeted with sympathy. She has decided the PermaGrin is a mask I use to cover the discomfort. Her attitude is reinforced by my accomplishments, which for the 62-1/2 years previous to the tractor have involved serious work.

I have not corrected her.

/ I think I found the answer... #7  
LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT! <font color="red"> YOU GUYS ACTUALLY LIKE WORKING WITH YOUR TRACTORS? </font> when i am FORCED to use the tractor, my facial expressions are the result of squinting from the sun, although to some it may look like PERMAGRIN /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ I think I found the answer... #8  
I simulate the facial expression of a PG after reading TBN posts. The simulation is as good as it gets until I actually buy a tractor.

One thing that helps my particular condition is the thought of being $30k lighter upon acquisition. It really helps, but only temporarily. PG invariably shows up again.

I fear there is only one solution: face the situation directly and then seek professional help. A tractor and banker should take care of the whole ordeal.

/ I think I found the answer... #9  
The only time my "permagrin" ended is when my CFO drove off with my toy/work tool/investment/friend/companion/love-of-my-life/.....
...did I mention to anyone I like my tractor? (see attached)

Attachments

• 275178-Tractor.jpg
    275178-Tractor.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 174
   / I think I found the answer... #10  
My fiance told me of another power our tractors give us.. she said.. "Can you help me let the dogs out.. before you disappear?" I wasn't aware I became invisable once I sat on the tractor.. must've been the perma-grin that gave me away as I was headed out the door.. **** perma-grin.. foiled again!