I think I have Goofed on this one.

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi,

Just recently bought a 60" Jinma PTO powered snow blower to use with a 55hp tractor. I don't think it will work!

Tractor PTO centre is approximately 23" from ground. Snowblower input shaft centre is approximately 18" from ground. This gives a height difference of 5" over a distance of about 33"

Question is how far from straight can you go with a PTO shaft and be safe to 540RPM? Obviously straighter is better, however a PTO shaft will tolerate some misalignement. How much is safe?

Anyone able to offer some advise on this?

Thx in advance,

Jim

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #2  
Doesn't it have a U joint at each end. The drive shaft should work fine at most angles, consider the range of movement in a PHD. that angle range of motion is 42 inches on average

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #3  
doxford jim said:
Hi,

Just recently bought a 60" Jinma PTO powered snow blower to use with a 55hp tractor. I don't think it will work!

Tractor PTO centre is approximately 23" from ground. Snowblower input shaft centre is approximately 18" from ground. This gives a height difference of 5" over a distance of about 33"

Question is how far from straight can you go with a PTO shaft and be safe to 540RPM? Obviously straighter is better, however a PTO shaft will tolerate some misalignement. How much is safe?

Anyone able to offer some advise on this?

Thx in advance,

Jim
It dont need to be straight with 2 u joints.Just dont cut the driveshaft too short,so you got a good connectionwith the blower on the ground.Then make sure the shafts dont slide up against your ujoints when level[hard on tractorand /or implement]
.It will start going away from them again up beyond that point
BTW NEED TO REMOVE PTO GAURDS TO CHECK IT OUT.No need to run pto though.
ALAN

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #4  
You could buy shorter tires, or taller snow drifts, but I think I would just run it like it is. 5" deflection of U-joints isn't that bad.(I love adding my $.02 to snow threads. It makes me feel like an idiot, being from Florida!)
David from jax

/ I think I have Goofed on this one.
hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I felt sure it would not be a problem until I looked at the 5" offset, then that just didn't look right. As you probably guessed I am fairly new to this tractor stuff and this is the first time I woud have used a rear PTO driven snowblower (used a walk behind, lots). I also know that a truck driveline has critical angles to adhere to - but their speeds are much higher.

I will give it a good shot, thanks for the encouragement.

Jim

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #6  
I would think that a good number of us have had the same questions in the past! I for one wouldn't ask thought (LOL)

Looked for pictures and the only one I could find was of my woods blower mounted on a JD tractor. On the picture showing it actually blowing snow you will see the blower is way up off the ground.

Go ahead and hook it up to your tractor and see how it fits!

Wayne

Attachments

• ss-60-1.jpg
    ss-60-1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 405
  • ss-60-2.jpg
    ss-60-2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 286
  • ss-60-3.jpg
    ss-60-3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 258
  • ss-60.jpg
    ss-60.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 237
  • ss-60-4.jpg
    ss-60-4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 249
   / I think I have Goofed on this one. #7  
I have read U-Joints work fine up to about 15 degrees.

Both my mower and cutter are offset a good 5"-6" between the tractor and implement. After 5 years, no problem. Also, if you have a front engine/rear drive car or truck, look at the driveshaft. There is a pretty good angle there.
Now, if you want to see premature wear on U-Joints, look at a pick up that's been jacked way up...you'll see U-Joints on angles greater then 15 degrees.

I don't think you have any problem...

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #8  
DoxfordJim,

Escavador made a very good point, more important is your drive shaft length.
In the manual they should give the Min/Max lengths for the shaft and how to cut it, if it's too long. Most times, if the attachment is matched to the machine, in terms of Category and HP, the length is usually OK from the factory.
But, it's a real good thing to check with a new piece of equipment.

Connect the blower to the 3PH, but don't connect the PTO shaft.
Lift the unit until the connection on the blower is parallel with the one on the tractor. Now hold the driveshaft of the blower up next to your PTO shaft on the tractor. With the blower shaft fully retracted/compressed, Is it short enough to be connected to the tractor? If YES, then it's not too long, and shouldn't bind.
Next, is to check to see if the blower shaft is too short.
The driveline just needs plenty of overlap to transfer power without twisting the hollow telescoping drive shafts. In the above procedure, if it's within a few inches of the end of the tractor PTO, then it's not too short.

They should give instructions in the manual regarding shaft length, if they don't KingKutter gives very good instruction in their tiller manual, which I believe is on line.

Your operating "angle of dangle" should be OK. Just keep those U-joints greased properly and they will do their job.

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #9  
doxford jim

Hi Jim

I use a Puma 64 Snowblower with about the same dimensions, Tractor PTO 23" from the ground, Blower about 18" from the ground when lowered, and a PTO shaft about 30" long. I have used this blower for 6 years and have had no problems with the PTO shaft being at to great an angle.

I think you will be OK if the shaft does not bind when lifted to level (it's shortest point) and still engages more than more than 4" when on the ground. My directions call for the tubes to be not shorter than 1" from the yokes at the shortest point when cut. That will still give plenty of overlap on a 33" PTO when on the ground.

sandman2234 said:
You could buy shorter tires, or taller snow drifts, but I think I would just run it like it is. 5" deflection of U-joints isn't that bad.(I love adding my $.02 to snow threads. It makes me feel like an idiot, being from Florida!)
David from jax

Sandman2234

You have no idea what your missing. :confused:

It's another whole season with another set of implements to use, not the same old same old. You get to sit on your tractor and marval at the beauitful snow you have sent 20' in the air. :):):)

AND THEN THE WIND CHANGES DIRECTION. :eek:

Back it comes and you get covered in the %@#&%$% stuff. :mad: :mad: You now have a screamming ice cream headache as you sit there covered in snow 6" deep.

Yep, you just can't have that kind of fun in Florida!

/ I think I have Goofed on this one. #10  
I don't think of it as snow blowing, nope, I'm "mowing the driveway". And I can get done in much less time that when I mow the grass! And, it's so cold, a beer would freeze, so no beer drinking --> think of the money saved!!!

Plus, last mowing of the lawn was in late September. Won't mow again until late April. Haven't mowed the drive yet and the forcast looks like that will hold up for a while. Just have to go out and try to find stupid deer in the woods. That's the only kind I get to shoot!

jb

jb