I WANT A TRACTOR, but ......

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #21  
I love my SCUT for my 6 somewhat hilly acres. Added 2" spacers to each side. Have a Piranha tooth bar on the FEL.
Clamp on forks, a Backhoe and use it all the time. But it is sitting right now due to rain and don't want to dig up any lawns.
I do not use it to mow, that may change this summer if I can save up enough. Maybe a flail for brush, trails and the lawns that don't need to be perfect.
While bigger would be nice, my SCUT fits into some tight spaces that are on the property and fits in my garage with the lawn tractor.
Always try to think ahead and to projects to help decide size, features and HP.
Hills, as others have said are tricky and my lawn areas are all mostly flat, but not all and the woods have some sharp slopes. I am very careful there and work on building out trails so I don;t have to side hill.
4 WD is your friend too.

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #22  
You guys have hills and valleys and all I have is 8 acres of misquite
and cedar bushes and catus of which anyone can have the catus its
free no extra charge just come and get it. Will be removing 99 % of
this stuff. Don't care for the catus as it draws rodents and rodents
draw snakes and don't care for either one.

how to drive a blonde crazy? put her in a round building and tell her
to sit in the corner!

willy

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #23  
I’ve not been on here in awhile until recently. I’ve moved a couple times, varied acreage at different places but currently do not have a tractor and I miss it. I am now on 5 acres some wooded, some open with slopes being mowed. I’ve been getting by with a 17 year old 42 inch cut zero turn mower. It’s time to replace it. Currently it’s beating me up to mow with it on the slopes. I’ve put 4wheeler type tires on the rear for traction and it helped, I still feel like I’m taking my life at risk mowing with it on the slopes though. Mowing up and down I never know if it’s going to stop at the bottom of the steep slopes especially if it’s damp. Mowing along the slopes the crab walking really does a number on my back , it hurts for 3 days after. I need more stability and a larger deck. I currently will not allow my teenage son to mow it and he is a very responsible mature ( for his age) young man. I’ve been pricing scuts at dealers along with commercial zero turns. I could meet my mowing needs with a zero turn but I want a tractor with front end loader. I can’t really justify having fel for 90% of the time. I could justify the scut with mmm easily. Even though a scut loader is very limited I just want one. I also want something to help with leaf removal in the fall. To many leaves to mow/ mulch. Currently takes me 3 to 4 hours with a Stihl backpack mower times 3 or 4 different weekends to deal with all the leaves. I’m thinking rake the leaves up with rear rake of some sort behind scut then use loader to push them on into the woods or scoop them up for removal.
I’ve got quotes on Ls 25 hp scut , bx2680, Deere 1025. Also got some zero turn quotes mostly as an afterthought. Problem is when I sit in the seats the zero turns are more comfy and a bit smoother ride but I want a tractor. The zero turns are a bit cheaper but I want a tractor. The zero turns would mow faster.......BUT I WANT A TRACTOR. I kinda view the scuts as a toy tractor but I want one. There is a rear attachment called “big tool rack”. It looks so cool and I want one of those too. If allowed I’ll share a link.
Anyway to keep from rambling on here’s a question:I can afford either piece of equipment so am I crazy for trying to justify a scut when a Zero turn will suffice just because I WANT A TRACTOR?
I'm getting the feeling, you want a tractor. Here's the thing, can a tractor do your slopes? My slopes are steep and then run up to a plateau so I need to use my walk-behind zero steer. A tractor with mid deck or rear mowwer would scalp the heck out of plateau ridge. Tractors are great and if your slopes gradually flatten out so a larger mower won't scalp then the 25-28hp sub compacts do have a lot to offer. Mahindra, Kioti. Might fit your wallet better the Kubota. I think those folks have lost their minds... Much like Harley davidson

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #24  
There's a bigger tractor in your future. Please go tryout somebody else's Kubota L40 series - L3940 or L3540 before you buy a subcut.

I put 600+ hrs on my first subcut....Kubota BX-22 TLB.

There are great used tractors out there! Dealers and Rental Centers are sources for rental fleet tractors.

Full Disclosure - currently own
Husqvarna TS348 Lawn Tractor
Kubota L3940 w/FEL & BH90

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #25  
have you seen this?

willy

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #27  
if you can afford, it, it's perfectly fine to have toys for no other reason then you want them. No additional justification necessary.
I stand by my reasoning in an earlier reply but what was said here really says it all. Probably many of us here are well into our years of working and providing for others. No regrets about any of that for me. That said, I have worked hard and made a decent living for long time. As mentioned by JCoastie, if a tractor is in your budget, get it. I work in a fairly fast paced and stressful job, my tractor allows me to get some other work done around the farm and to enjoy my time while I am doing it. As I approach retirement I am wanting a new tractor. Do I need it? Nope. Will it be much different than what I already have? Nope but it will be new and I will enjoy it. Live a little and go for it.

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #28  
I’ve not been on here in awhile until recently. I’ve moved a couple times, varied acreage at different places but currently do not have a tractor and I miss it. I am now on 5 acres some wooded, some open with slopes being mowed. I’ve been getting by with a 17 year old 42 inch cut zero turn mower. It’s time to replace it. Currently it’s beating me up to mow with it on the slopes. I’ve put 4wheeler type tires on the rear for traction and it helped, I still feel like I’m taking my life at risk mowing with it on the slopes though. Mowing up and down I never know if it’s going to stop at the bottom of the steep slopes especially if it’s damp. Mowing along the slopes the crab walking really does a number on my back , it hurts for 3 days after. I need more stability and a larger deck. I currently will not allow my teenage son to mow it and he is a very responsible mature ( for his age) young man. I’ve been pricing scuts at dealers along with commercial zero turns. I could meet my mowing needs with a zero turn but I want a tractor with front end loader. I can’t really justify having fel for 90% of the time. I could justify the scut with mmm easily. Even though a scut loader is very limited I just want one. I also want something to help with leaf removal in the fall. To many leaves to mow/ mulch. Currently takes me 3 to 4 hours with a Stihl backpack mower times 3 or 4 different weekends to deal with all the leaves. I’m thinking rake the leaves up with rear rake of some sort behind scut then use loader to push them on into the woods or scoop them up for removal.
I’ve got quotes on Ls 25 hp scut , bx2680, Deere 1025. Also got some zero turn quotes mostly as an afterthought. Problem is when I sit in the seats the zero turns are more comfy and a bit smoother ride but I want a tractor. The zero turns are a bit cheaper but I want a tractor. The zero turns would mow faster.......BUT I WANT A TRACTOR. I kinda view the scuts as a toy tractor but I want one. There is a rear attachment called “big tool rack”. It looks so cool and I want one of those too. If allowed I’ll share a link.
Anyway to keep from rambling on here’s a question:I can afford either piece of equipment so am I crazy for trying to justify a scut when a Zero turn will suffice just because I WANT A TRACTOR?

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #29  

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #30  
Have you checked out the VanTec tractor mowers? They're reported to be the most stable mower on steep slopes . . .