I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations
Ok, stopped by the local paint store (near where I used to live). They recommended an acrylic primer/sealer. Very easy to use with roller, brush and sprayer, cleans up with water. This is what I used a year or so ago on my pole barn sniper's hide and it's held up pretty good so far. He highly recommended at least one paint over this, two is better (where have I heard that before?).

The good news is that one gallon will cover about 300-350 ft sq. so one gallon should be more than enough, for both the primer/sealer and cover paints.

I'll take a look at the Wagner gun next time I'm at my local (sort of) HD.

Thanks,

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #22  
Here you go!

Object moved and there's a coupon to buy it for $174.99....

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #24  
Thanks Eddie, I normally borrow my buddies and hes got it in use this summer. I love the sprayer for lattice and rough cut hemlock.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #25  
And NEVER, EVER try to use their exterior wood stain!!!!! Probably my biggest disaster ever. I recommended Sherwin Williams or Cabots stain to my clients for a deck that I built for them. They went to Home Depot and brought back some brochure showing all the different colors they had to chose from. They wanted five different colors. All UGLY!!! It didn't stick very well or absorb into the wood. When done, it looked blotchy. My clients where very unhappy and accused me of doing it wrong. We called Behr and talked to their Representative who said that I did everything right, and that the wood was the problem. They wouldn't take back their stain, or give a refund, but they did sell them the stuff to remove it. Fortunately it came off pretty easily by applying the remover and hosing it off. Then I did it with stain from Sherwin Williams in just once color and it came out awesome. I ended up losing money on that job because of the time dealing with the Behr stain and trying to make the client happy. Mistake on my part, but sometimes you just get in so deep on a job, all you can do is keep pushing to get it done.

Eddie
I agree with you on the stain. I used it once a couple of years ago and it was awful.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #26  
Re Behr exterior stains: THE POOREST of poor quality.
I built a fair sized deck several years ago, let it weather for a year, purchased Behr deck stain and followed the directions to the letter. One year after staining the material came off in sheets. No penetration whatsoever

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #27  
Re Behr exterior stains: THE POOREST of poor quality. I built a fair sized deck several years ago, let it weather for a year, purchased Behr deck stain and followed the directions to the letter. One year after staining the material came off in sheets. No penetration whatsoever

I used Behr semi transparent oil-based stain to stain my western red cedar siding about 12 years ago, and it has stood up pretty well. However, now we are getting blackness showing up, and it is time to redo things.

That is where the tough part starts. First of all, of course you cannot get the same oil-based stain, although I have several cans left over that may or may not be dead yet. Most importantly, I called up Behr, and they said that I have to completely strip the Cedar naked in order to put more stain on! Not going to happen. I'm going to try maybe washing it or sanding a bit and then just put more of the same stuff overtop. I will of course try it somewhere inconspicuous first, but then if that doesn't work I guess I'm screwed. I would rather put brand-new siding right over top and than refinish that stuff!

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #28  
I got a Titan airless (cart mounted model, unknown PN) that I use for painting my chicken coup and barn plus other things. It works well with thick paints too. It is very similar to the one Eddie linked to above. I think that Graco owns Titan.

My advise is that unless you have lots to do with it on a semi frequent basis, rent a commercial one for $50 instead.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #29  
I've had great experience with the Graco Pro X7 sprayer mentioned earlier. Bought it last summer to replace an old Wagner. Used it 10 different days last summer spraying 17 gallons, flushing it our well and cleaning filters per instructions at end of each day. I'm with Eddie that some days I used roller and brush when not doing a large area due to the set up and clean up of the sprayer.

I am in the minority, I guess, that I have had good luck with Behr solid exterior latex stain. Applied after properly prepping (power washing mostly) it covered well in one coat and held up well (used it as long as 7 years ago and again this past year).

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #30