Front-End Loader I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor.......

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower

Hello friends. I'm new here and I have a couple of questions. I just bought 3.5 acres in Missouri and I'm looking at a 1985 Satoh S650G Bison. It has 6166 hours, inline 4, 3 point hitch, runs well according to the seller, and it's $2750. So, 1) is that a good deal? and 2) Is there a list of loaders somewhere that would fit that tractor with little or no modification? Thanks in advance for the help.

This is a gas engine tractor. 6,000+ hours is quite a lot of use for a gas engine tractor.

Are you adept at troubleshooting and mechanical repairs? Do you have metric tools?

Parts for 40+ year old orphan-brand tractors are very thin.

Can you operate equipment with a traditional clutch and gear transmission? Shop tractor clutch rebuilds are $1,500 in low cost, rural Florida.

Manual steering gets old fast.

2-WD tractors often lack the necessary traction to fill a loader bucket with dirt.

Aftermarket Loaders are available for most tractors. I will guess your cost at $4,500 delivered.

LINK: Front-End Loader - Compact Tractor Aftermarket Loader Suppliers

You would likely need a new, higher capacity hydraulic pump, joystick and plumbing, +$2,000.

Plus labor for installation.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Satoh Bison S650​

Satoh Bison S650 tractor photo
1973 - 1983
Compact Utility tractor
Series:S550Bison S650
Production
Manufacturer:Satoh
Type:Compact Utility tractor
Factory:Japan
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Final drives:spur gear
Steering:manual
Brakes:differential mechanical internal expanding shoe
Cab:Open operator station.
Transmission:6-speed unsynchronized gear

Last edited:
   / I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #3  
Looks like a very nice little tractor that probably really wouldn’t need power steering until you install the FEL-front end loader. To me the $2750 price doesn’t sound cheap but it’s not crazy high.
The price of adding a loader very likely will drive the price higher than I would be willing to pay.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #4  
Why, when I buy a tractor used or new, if it don't have a loader, I always pass.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #5  
In addition to all the negatives mentioned there's also the possibility of breaking a front spindle when a loader is added. The problem is common with older Mitsubishi and Satoh tractors. They were not designed with a loader in mind.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #6  
I am right now in the process of adding power steering to my tractor. During this process I have been looking a lot a the FEL mounted on my Yanmar YM2310. It is obvious that the FEL, even though aftermarket, was made to fit my tractor and other models very similar. One that wasn't already made to fit would be an awful lot of work to make it fit. Considering how much work it has been installing power steering I would not consider buying a tractor with no FEL. Much, much, much easier buying a tractor with one already in place.
Eric

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #7  
Had the same thought process with an older Kubota 245DT (22hp) with no loader. After spending all the time and money I would still have maybe 500lb lift capacity. Seems like tractors like that for anything that involves PTO or pulling only like to hook up a rotary cutter for fields once or twice a year. If you get it and end up going a different route later, you may end up needing to trade out/up implements.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #8  
If no ROPS is installed, good luck finding one.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #9  
I wouldn't buy that tractor without a loader with plans to put one on, unless you're an experienced welder and looking for a challenging project for the fun of it. I'm also not a fan of 2wd tractors with loaders in general. The MFWD have tires that provide a lot more support for a load on the front in soft soils.

/ I Want To Add a Loader (FEL) To My Existing Tractor....... #10  
Hi,
I reluctantly added an fel to my Massey Ferguson 35 as I really need one and didn't want a different tractor. The workload blew the hydraulic pump on day one.
I'd recommend a tractor intended to have an fel.