I want to buy a new 425 this year but ...

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #11  
There was a post from someone with a new PT425 and they were not having problems down into the 20's.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #12  
I've owned both and vastly prefer the Kohler engine. The Subaru won't start reliably below about 40 degrees. I keep a cheap oil heater under the tractor (turned on it's side) and it starts perfectly.

If you read some of my other posts, you'll see I'm convinced cold starts are very hard on the variable displacement pump. Consequently, I personally think it makes sense to keep the tractor in a garage or keep a magnetic heater or other heat source on the oil reservoir anyway. In this scenario, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Subaru (since there's no other option) because I believe it's best to keep the oil a bit warm in any scenario.

Just my opinion.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ...
I called Power Trac today. The only thing that has changed in the PT-425 is that they upgraded the wheel motors. New ones have more torque.
She said they also have a new heater kit for cold starting. She said the reviews were great. I asked if they were planning on ever going back to Kohlers. She said the cost was too much because they would have to buy the Kohlers from a dealer. She said the PT-425 was their best selling machine. No number as to how many they sell a year.

Bob if you can remember where you saw that post I would like to see it. Maybe they had the new heater kit on it.

I've owned both and vastly prefer the Kohler engine. The Subaru won't start reliably below about 40 degrees. I keep a cheap oil heater under the tractor (turned on it's side) and it starts perfectly.

If you read some of my other posts, you'll see I'm convinced cold starts are very hard on the variable displacement pump. Consequently, I personally think it makes sense to keep the tractor in a garage or keep a magnetic heater or other heat source on the oil reservoir anyway. In this scenario, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Subaru (since there's no other option) because I believe it's best to keep the oil a bit warm in any scenario.

Just my opinion.

How old is your PT-425?

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #15  
She said they also have a new heater kit for cold starting. She said the reviews were great.
She provide any more details about what the "new heater kit" was?

I wish Power Trac would keep their website more or less up to date. Their "NEW" page shows the backhoe thumb and grapple that they introduced in 2009. I guess that is "new" by their calculations.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #16  
She provide any more details about what the "new heater kit" was?

I wish Power Trac would keep their website more or less up to date. Their "NEW" page shows the backhoe thumb and grapple that they introduced in 2009. I guess that is "new" by their calculations.

I saw the heater when I was there in September. It is a flat heater mounted to the back of the hydraulic tank. Most of the heat will go to the hydraulic tank and some into the engine compartment.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #17  
I called Power Trac today. The only thing that has changed in the PT-425 is that they upgraded the wheel motors. New ones have more torque.
She said they also have a new heater kit for cold starting. She said the reviews were great. I asked if they were planning on ever going back to Kohlers. She said the cost was too much because they would have to buy the Kohlers from a dealer. She said the PT-425 was their best selling machine. No number as to how many they sell a year.

Bob if you can remember where you saw that post I would like to see it. Maybe they had the new heater kit on it.

I searched and could not find the post. Sorry! I hoped the poster would comment against.

Bob, do you think the heater is better than the magnetic ones? I have two magnetic heater I put on the outside of the tank. They are okay but I still need to put a propane heater facing it too. Eddie at Power Trac said he uses one the new heaters and it makes a big difference.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #19  
Any idea how many watts the new heater is?

I agree with Martt on the potential impact of cold oil. My issue is getting things warm at the right time- I don't always know in advance when I will be needing the PT! :)

All the best,

Peter

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #20  
Bob, do you think the heater is better than the magnetic ones? I have two magnetic heater I put on the outside of the tank. They are okay but I still need to put a propane heater facing it too. Eddie at Power Trac said he uses one the new heaters and it makes a big difference.

I do did not ask the wattage. I think the advantage of this is that being in the engine compartment more of the heat will reach things that need it. Both hydraulic and engine need heat, and they will get some. A magnetic heater on the outside will not send any heat to the engine.