I want to buy a new 425 this year but ...

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #32  
I use the x10 setup to run the fans and the air compressor starter in my barn. Very convenient.

Ken

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #33  
For many years I used X10 stuff with no problems. Then, all of a sudden, things started going whacky in our house. Lights on at weird times, pool shutting off and on, etc.... I think someone else in the neighborhood had it. I never tried changing house codes. I used to use it on Christmas lights. Very handy. Kid's aquarium light as a night light.

At one time, I had it turning on the lights under the cabinets in the kitchen at 20% 5 minutes before my wife got up to light her way to the basement to do her workout. Then it would come on in my kids room 5 minutes before she was supposed to get up, and gradually increase 10% every couple minutes until lights were full intensity. Kept from blowing your eyes out in the morning. Had out closet light come on dim and increase when it was my turn to get up. Turned all the house lights off 10 minutes after we left, and 10 minutes before we came home just the ones we used. Pool timer in summer, too. Had a "movie mode" in the living room. Pushed that macro and the table lamps would come on and the overheads would go off. Then, every minute the table lamps would dim 10% until they got down to just a nice glow on the ends.

Problems with that stuff now, is they don't work on CFLs. Waiting for LEDs to become cheaper. Those are dimable.

Anyhow, I'm looking for my Power Flash module to hook up in our garage. We kept the car outside for 18 years. Got it inside this year. Now we forget to close the garage door. :laughing: So, I'll put a wide-gap magnetic switch on the garage door, connect it to the power flash module and set it to the code for a lamp module in the kitchen with a night light in it. When the door is open, the nightlight will be lit. When the door is closed, the night light will be out.

It fun stuff to play with, but cheap and cheaply made.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #34  
I just installed a garage door opener with WI-FI.

Using a smart phone, you can check to see if the door is open or closed and if open, you can close it from around the world.

You can also program it to close after a set time.

I am doing the WI-FI thermostat next.

Then the security cameras.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #35  
Just be careful with your wifi security. People can hack in and use the cameras to see if you are home etc. if you do not use good passwords and such.

Ken

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #36  
I'm gonna hack in and look at his tractor.... :laughing:

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #38  
I have had a 422 since 2004. It's in an unheated shed and when it was below zero this winter, I just put a tarp over the engine compartment and used a small electric space heater for an hour. When I have problems starting, I take out the plugs and warm them with a propane torch...usually fires up right away when I do that.