I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20...

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
I wish JD had the same BH for the 4x20 that the 110 TLB has. The 4x20 is larger than the 110 but the 448 hoe is smaller. 90% of the time it is just fine. I knew it wasn't a full size hoe when I bought it, but since they (JD) makes a stronger hoe for the same general size I wish they had offered it. Installing 12" ID concrete culverts takes all that the 448 can put out. These weigh about 700lb each. I can only pick with the dipper stick, not the main boom. So the range of movement is really restricted.

Oh well it still beats digging with a shovel and trying to roll the pipes in with a pry bar.

Attachments

• cluvert1.jpg
    cluvert1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 387
  • ATT00008.jpg
    ATT00008.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 313
   / I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #2  
The 110 is the same size as the 4000 series. The 110 is a seroius machine not and home owners unit. A 110 hoe on the 4000 series would tear it in two. If you ever look at the 110 and 4000 side by side you'll see for your self. Now I have a 448 on my 3320 and find it a great match for the 3000's. Deere should design a hoe for the 4000's that is a little more powerful. I believe the woods hoe for the 4000's is no joke.

Matt T.:D

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #3  
Tom -- what are you doin' with concrete culverts?? Wouldn't steel ones be cheaper and a whole lot easier to work with....?

I really debated the 4000x20 versus the 110 when I considered buying. I finally recognized that the work I need to accomplish would be too much abuse for the 4000 series FEL and Hoe and that after a few year's, I'd be in the market for another TLB.

I'd sell or trade my current TLB in a heartbeat and "upgrade" if JD came out with a 110 TLB configured with the 4000x20 PowerTech engine and the 4000 series cab!!!

But I'd guess that the JD marketing guys would never go that extra step 'cause a 110 configuration like that likely would eat market share from both the 310 construction TLB's and the 4520-4720 TLB buyers.

What a sweet machine that would be, though...

AKfish

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20...
If you ever look at the 110 and 4000 side by side you'll see for your self.

I have. The 4520 with over 50HP, and the frame is heavier. My 4520 out pulled a 110TLB last year.

AK: Culverts are utility passages from new utility building to house and barn. I don't want to trench the road more than once. They will have the main power feed, a UPS feed to selected circuits, potable water, irrigation water, fire main to barn, compressed air, irrigation controls, and coolant lines from the genset to the house and back. Plus fishing lines for future expansion.. Vaults at hose and barn to access. I got the culverts for $3.00 a ft delivered. They are "seconds" from the local mfg plant. For my use they might as well be prime. Mostly a few chips on the bell or where the remesh got too close to the surface.

I looked at the 110. Most of my use is "tractor" and I needed the additional HP. mostly for ground ripping, tearing and general flailing around. I seriously debated getting a used construction hoe and just using the 4520 as the tractor, but one of my goals was minimize the number of engines to keep running.

I agree if JD came out with a 50+HP TLB w/wo cab it would be great, but as you said, that would doom several other models.

I'm not unhappy with the 4520, just wish for that little extra. FEL with the 4in1 has built about 2 miles of roads, placed 2700LB culverts, and removed acres of scotch broom. The BH has dug about 300 cu yd of holes and a lot of drain lines.

Tom -- what are you doin' with concrete culverts?? Wouldn't steel ones be cheaper and a whole lot easier to work with....?

I really debated the 4000x20 versus the 110 when I considered buying. I finally recognized that the work I need to accomplish would be too much abuse for the 4000 series FEL and Hoe and that after a few year's, I'd be in the market for another TLB.

I'd sell or trade my current TLB in a heartbeat and "upgrade" if JD came out with a 110 TLB configured with the 4000x20 PowerTech engine and the 4000 series cab!!!

But I'd guess that the JD marketing guys would never go that extra step 'cause a 110 configuration like that likely would eat market share from both the 310 construction TLB's and the 4520-4720 TLB buyers.

What a sweet machine that would be, though...

AKfish

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #6  
Tom, you should look into the Kubota m59. It's sounds like what you need. If the m59 is a strong seller for Kubota I'm sure Deere will produce a machine to compete.

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #7  
Yup --- the M59 is right in line with what a (4000x20 "Hybridized" 110) would be (no cab, though). And the price of a M59 with top n tilt, thumb, etc is over $60K.

I'd like to believe that Deere could build a "monster 110" for less than $60K!

AKfish

/ I wish.. stronger bh for 4x20... #8  
the 210 is less than $60k

I shoudn't complain... I put in 200 ft of culvert this weekend. Dug trench through sand/mud stone, laid pipe all by myself with help from the 4520. Or should I say the 4520 did those with help from me? If it were not for one set of weld plates, I could put a 0.5" bigger cylinder on the boom, which would then match the one on the dipper stick.

I wasn't the fastest pipe laying operation this weekend, but it did get the job done.

I had a friend buy a used case 580 construction king, put about $2000 in new parts in it (mostly hydraulics). He then used it while building their ranch house, barn etc. Sold it for $8000 more than he paid for it. Getting paid $6K for using a decent sized hoe ...