Ice fishing

/ Ice fishing #1  

Schultz

Gold Member
Tractor
BX-2200
I was thinking of a new use the other day for the PT, when I was working at drilling though 12"+ of ice to go fishing.

All you need is some ice blades on your dirt augers and away you go. I'm sure it would make any "upper" or northerner envious.
How about it MossRoad or Hans?
Tim

/ Ice fishing #2  
Oh, I'm sure it would work. I've seen cars and trucks on ice thinner than that. Imagine the look on some guys face out there with a spud, chopping away and you pull up on the PT and drill about a hundred holes before he finishes his first /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've got an 8" Mora hand drill that'll go through 5" in about 10-12 turns and 10 inches in about 20-25 turns depending on how tired I get and how many coats I'm wearing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I also have a Magnum 50CC gas powered 10" that I've only used twice. It cuts great and punches nice holes with no downpressure from me needed. However, I just don't like carrying it because it weighs 15 pounds. Hand auger weighs only 2 or 3.

I like to fish light... just me, the auger, a plastic bucket and starting this year, a thermos of hot tea.

So, the important questions.... where did you fish, did you catch anything, what were you using for bait, what time of day was it, what was the temperature..... ha ha ha ha!

The great thing about fishing is that even if you don't catch any fish, you've still wasted the day.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Lord, grant that some day I may catch a fish so big, that in telling of it afterward, I won't have to lie about it.

When it comes to fishing, the older I get, the better I was.

David G.

/ Ice fishing
Yes it would be pretty cool to see a guy in a PT come out drill a number of holes and start fishing, but not that practical. I too fish light with a bucket, pole, and bait, but lately I welcome my friends pop up shanties because it's been so unbearably cold & windy in Lower Michigan.

To answer your questions:
I went fishing in the backyard lake, its a small lake of 10 acres, but loaded with fish since only two families fish it and have access to it.
I was using wax worms and caught bluegill, crappie, and perch. I prefer minnows but worms are easy.
I too have the 8" mora but mine no longer cuts like yours even with new blades. It wanders while cutting and takes about 5 minutes to get though 6". I think I'll try shimming the blades to change the angle of attack.
Tim

/ Ice fishing #4  
i drove my exmark 25hp in a pond on a 4th of April a few years ago, boy was the water cold. i ain't coming fishing with you Schultzi and with you Mr. M.R. Moderator.

was that a mess to change all the fluids, and dirt out of every cavity of the engine and containers. when i go to the exmark dealer now, they salute me as the only U-Boot CKapiten they have in their customer base. everything they sell me is always recommended for use on my submarine too. one of the owners a while back demontrated a string trimmer for me ... he then held it in some sort of a high port position and said: it will also, in case of being stranded, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifstand in for a paddle.

/ Ice fishing #5  
Private ponds are the best. I had the oportunity to fish a few over the years. Very fun.

My mora came with shims, but I never installed them. I did have to change blades when I loaned it out to my father-in-law. He has a habit of tapping it up and down on the ice to get it started. That did it in. I'm about ready for a new set of blades now. Third set of blades in 25 years.... darn undependable, if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've thought of a shanty lately, too. I must be getting older or wiser... maybe both!

/ Ice fishing #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( drove my exmark 25hp in a pond )</font>

But did you catch any fish?

Just kidding. Were you injured?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( now, they salute me as the only U-Boot CKapiten they have in their customer base )</font>

I have a few places that I go where they have a laugh or two at my expense, as well. All in good nature, of course.

I almost found our creek with the PT last fall when making those brush hogging videos. The weeds were so thick and tall that I could not judge where I was. Something told me to turn, so I did, and there, a few feet to my left, was the creek. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Ice fishing #7  
Hans,
You made my day reading your post. Not funny from your side but we sure enjoyed your humor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PJ

/ Ice fishing
I'll second that

Schultzi

/ Ice fishing #9  
Were you injured?

thanks for the inquiry ... NO ... just cold

/ Ice fishing #10  
Glad you weren't injured /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Just out of curiosity, how deep did it go, and how did you get it out? Did you have to disassemble the engine, or was changing the fluids and washing it off thoroughly good enough?