Backhoe I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe. #1  

dickfoster

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538TLB
I went to take the bucket off yesterday to get some dimensions for the ripper tooth. Whoever put this thing on used a BFH to pound the pins in. One came out OK but the other was a different story. He hammered it so hard he mushroomed the end and it was stuck so tight I almost never got it pounded out. He also hammered the lock bolt in because the pin wasn't fully seated from his wailing on it so he buggered that too.
Someone needs to find that gorilla and take his BFH away and give him a soft dead blow mallet and show him how to assemble stuff with some finesse. I had to dress the pin with a grinder so I could reuse it.
As it is, the design leaves a bit to be desired, there must be a better more elegant solution.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe. #2  
Same Gorilla installs the factory oil and hydro filters on tractors, trucks and cars. He gets around.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe. #4  
Is this gorilla related to the one that assembles the "adjustable" tip/nozzle of grease guns?

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe. #6  
I had the same problem. I drilled out the holes in the backhoe, and turned a slight taper on the ends of the pins. The holes in the backhoe were undersized and nothing short of a good beating from a 4 pound hammer could get the pins in.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe.
I had the same problem. I drilled out the holes in the backhoe, and turned a slight taper on the ends of the pins. The holes in the backhoe were undersized and nothing short of a good beating from a 4 pound hammer could get the pins in.

The free end of the pins had a taper but if the other end ever had one it had been hammered into a mushroom.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe.
After thinking of this problem so more think I'll try to use my balljoint press to remove and maybe even finish pushing the pins home, next time around. I think it should work.

Astro Pneumatic 7865 Ball Joint - Suspension

If it's really stubborn, I'll put the impact wrench to it. It'll come out then.

I'd rather use it for that than replacing ball joints. I really do hate that job.

/ I'd like five minutes with the gorilla who but the bucket on this hoe. #10  
Sometimes the "gorilla" is making (or losing) over $300 an hour, and really has no time for dicking around with "elegant solutions".