I'd welcome your thoughts, please!

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #1  

Steve23240

Tractor
Kubota L1500
I currently have a little Kubota L1500 with a 95cm flail mower behind. I want to get something a tad larger, say 125 or 145cm. The one that I'm keen on has hydraulic operation such that it can be moved sideways (to cut under bushes) as well as being rotated vertically (to cut hedges). In order to do so it has (I think) four hydraulic lines - two for each axis of movement. My little Kubota does not have any hydraulic takeoff points, so I need to get a new tractor as well (such hardship!). My question is - would any tractor with hydraulic supply (Spool valves?) suffice or do they come with a variable number? Many thanks, Steve

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #2  
Usually, you can order the number of "remotes" (extra hydraulic connections) you need when you order the tractor. In your case, you'd need two remotes.

Just be prepared for the sticker shock. A single remote (two hoses) added $800 to the price of my Kubota B2650

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #3  
May I ask what mower you are looking at.

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #4  
I'd like to see some info on the proposed mower, also. It would be interesting to see if a PTO drive can run it in all those positions. If not, the new tractor will have to have adequate hydraulic flow to operate the gearbox.

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #6  
Wow! I had never seen or heard of such a machine in a small configuration. I don't know if there is anything comparable available in the states. Seems like it would sell like hotcakes---- if it's available here.

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #7  
Thank you for the link. Very interesting mower.

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #8  
Steve,

That is one wild attachment! Now you've got me wanting one.
But it does raise a red flag, for me.
I'd want to take a very close look at the weight of your new tractor vs. the weight of that implement combined with the offsets it can achieve, both aft of the lower hitch pins and especially to the right of the tractor's centerline.
Looks like it could be a stability hazard on slopes or soft soil unless thoughtfully counter-ballasted.
Just sayin'.

I see similar flail setups on our town & state highway mowing rigs, but they are mounted on much heavier, utility sized tractors with sizeable stacks of counterweights on the front & left sides of the tractor.

Please keep us updated with what you find out and what you decide to get - a very interesting option!

-jim

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please!
Thanks Jim, offset weight was not something I'd thought of! I love these sites where knowledgeable folks are happy to share their expertise! I'll keep the forum posted.

/ I'd welcome your thoughts, please! #10  
Wow, that would be a very versatile mower. The tractor in the photo looks fairly small, no bigger than my B series Kubota. Would love to know more.