Ideas for cannon ball extraction?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction?
if the Op wants to resolve this issue, he has long abandoned this thread

Nope! Between work, helping wife finish new mudroom, other issues, I have little time to work on this. Then when I was getting progress, that stupid little chuck holding bolt, broke.

Anyway, today I jumped on the phone between work calls. Found a local place, about 12 miles away that has.......gunpowder! He said he's never shot a cannon so can't help with load size. Doesn't have fuse so I still have to figure that out (I have a roll of fuse, but haven't tested it to see if it still works, I expect it will work fine though)

Said he's got gunpowder in 1-pound "bottles". I'll be by there tomorrow but not sure I'll be by prior to them closing.

The screw to hold the chuck on was ordered yesterday so I expect it will be here soon and I can continue chipping away at my challenge.

Oh, and as luck would have it.... the local Sheriff called me this morning! (I help with their retirement pension). So I took that opportunity to let him know what I'm up to, are there any legal issues (no). He did mention that "someone" will probably call it in to them (there is a retirement community across the lake) so I shouldn't be surprised if an officer shows up. I said that was fine as long as it wasn't anyone in black helicopters repelling down towards me. He went on to say that he's got a neighbor that is "into this stuff" and might be able to not only help....BUT, he's a city-cop. Since I help THEM with their pensions as well, I said to feel free to give my contact info to him about this and if he wanted to be here or help, he'd be welcome to as much as he wanted.

ALSO, when I was talking to the store that has the powder, he said there are a handful of people "in this area" that have cannons and use them every now & then. Went on to say that people will GO TO SEE them fire their cannon. I find it hard to believe that anyone not immediate to my area would want to put the energy out to watch a cannon being fired, but hey, what do I know. I'm the bozo who's going through gymnastics trying to get it prepared to fire.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #142  
Since the ball can move a short distance, and since the barrel has been cleaned somewhat, I am wondering if the ball is misshapen so that once it starts to fall out it turns a bit and sticks due to a wider diameter across one part of the ball. Just thinking.

Since the ball can move a short distance, and since the barrel has been cleaned somewhat, I am wondering if the ball is misshapen so that once it starts to fall out it turns a bit and sticks due to a wider diameter across one part of the ball. Just thinking.

Can't verify yet but that's totally supported by how it's acting. One would think if you had a round ball in a round bore, you could ultimately pull it out. (I had BOTH feet pushing cannon back while pulling on the drill embedded into the ball via drill bit) with both arms and NOTHING was happening.)

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #144  
Can't verify yet but that's totally supported by how it's acting. One would think if you had a round ball in a round bore, you could ultimately pull it out. (I had BOTH feet pushing cannon back while pulling on the drill embedded into the ball via drill bit) with both arms and NOTHING was happening.)
Thanks for including us along the way. I know its a lot to ask but a video seems appropriate for posterity. Asking for a family member of yours. :confused:

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #145  
I can hardly believe you have not tried "starting fluid" spayed into the touch hole and then set off .

It's a method used to seat tire beads that has worked for many years.

Start with a small squirt and see how it goes,

Sure, gunpowder will do the same, If not pressed down, it will even go "Woosh!" instead of "Bang".

Yeah, I've done more tires than I care to recall. Those large backhoe tires are a real pain in the hiney!!

I actually stood up, walked to tool chest, reached up, GRABBED my can ether...stared at it while in my hand, paused. simply decided against it and put it back. Not exactly sure of the logic of why I put it back. Maybe I can chalk it up to "that little voice in the back of my head that said to put it back"??? Can't articulate any reason.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #147  
You're smarter than to blow yourself or the neighborhood up. There's a lot of force at work when they use ether to inflate tires. That kind of force behind the cannonball could send it hundreds of yards in a split second.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #148  
Now that you have it moving it should come out. The lead will deform.

The toggle bolt idea will work but if trying to pull it out does not work, make up a sliding hammer and repeated blows should do it. Like a T post pounder in reverse.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #149  
A cannon worm

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #150  
I personally think any method, like starting fluid or a powder charge is a bad idea. I think the flash hole isn’t big enough to get a decent powder charge in.