ideas for clearing grown in trails

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails
I found this at a local farm equipment dealer for 300. would it be capable of cutting branches up to 3/4" . I would mount it on the fel the same as the samurai.
haymower.jpg

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #22  
I found this at a local farm equipment dealer for 300. would it be capable of cutting branches up to 3/4" . I would mount it on the fel the same as the samurai.
View attachment 386080

That looks like a PTO driven sickle bar. The Samuri is driven by FEL aux hydraulics, and only weighs 70#s. What you bought isn't meant to run off a FEL.:confused3:

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails
I realize that, that is why I am posting in the "build it yourself" forum. I didn't buy it yet but am wondering how the teeth/cutters would stand up to small branches. If suitable I would mount it on the fel and run a hydraulic motor to it.

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #24  
I think 3/4 might be a bit much for that system. Not saying you couldn't. Do it, but repeated 3/4 inch cuts may not go so well, we dull those on a cutter cutting fescue and alfalfa,

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #26  
I found another manufacturer, anyone have any experience with these guys. Looks to be more heavy duty, 375 lbs vs 70 for the samurai.

Cutter Bar TR 13 & TR 22 | Ferri-America

That's some serious equipment, for likely some serious money. Unlikely for use by individual tractor owners. Looks like the cutter bar would have to be powered by a 3PT boom arm with aux hydraulic reservoir.

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #27  
BTW, I ordered a Samuri yesterday; will be getting it relatively soon depending on my upcoming trip back to Europe for about a month.

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #28  
You do realize that the Ferri unit is designed for THEIR boom mowers, that you'd be lucky to get everything you need to run it for probably at least $25,000, and you'd STILL need a tractor that'd need a ROAD (rather than a trail) to run on, so (unless you already have that big a tractor) it'd add ANOTHER $100,000 to the cost?

Not saying that setup wouldn't be cool, just that it'd likely cost you about $124,000 MORE than the Samurai... Steve

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #29  
Wow, Coyote - while I was checking out that Ferri unit you snuck TWO posts in - Just proves I'm getting old AND slow :confused:

I bought a Samurai last year, too many other projects to get to it yet but I have a couple small cylinders and intend to build a "tinker toy set" of 2" receiver parts in order to articulate it with remote hydraulics.

Before that'll do any good, I need to finish a QA setup for my Case 580 and run remote hyd's front and rear, so (hopefully) I'll get to those items this winter.

I searched CL and other sites for nearly a year looking for an older sickle-bar to convert, finally found the Samurai and realized someone else had done most of the work for me for LESS than it would have cost to assemble the needed parts, not to mention the actual fab work :rolleyes:

From my experience, your cutter will beat you home... Steve

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #30  
Wow, Coyote - while I was checking out that Ferri unit you snuck TWO posts in - Just proves I'm getting old AND slow :confused:

I bought a Samurai last year, too many other projects to get to it yet but I have a couple small cylinders and intend to build a "tinker toy set" of 2" receiver parts in order to articulate it with remote hydraulics.

Before that'll do any good, I need to finish a QA setup for my Case 580 and run remote hyd's front and rear, so (hopefully) I'll get to those items this winter.

I searched CL and other sites for nearly a year looking for an older sickle-bar to convert, finally found the Samurai and realized someone else had done most of the work for me for LESS than it would have cost to assemble the needed parts, not to mention the actual fab work :rolleyes:

From my experience, your cutter will beat you home... Steve

So I want to do what the vineyard guy did on Samuri's web site. He demos a QA plate with a hydraulic cylinder that moves the Samuri cutter in or out from the plate toward the fence posts or vines or whatever. If you're looking to accomplish the same type of thing let's put our collective brain power on it. I asked the company owner to contact the vineyard farmer to inquire about what he used. I'm hoping he will get back to me on it. What say you?:confused3: