Identify this PHD please.

/ Identify this PHD please. #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
Thread title sums it up... found this for sale locally and am wondering if it might be worth $500... (if all the gears are “tight” and the bearings are in reasonable shape)... haven’t seen it in person yet...I don’t want to buy an orphan in case something goes sideways with it in the future... looks to be a HD model of some sort... ‘course I could be way off too...
8E4CC6DD-E8FD-4DAC-B759-6829F86450EF.jpeg

/ Identify this PHD please. #2  
You can get a new post hole digger for $600-700.
I don't recognize the brand pictured.

Last edited:
   / Identify this PHD please. #3  
It looks like an Lienbach, they are good equipment. If the slip joint on the PTO is rusted up that may have to be replaced.
If the gears and bearings feel smooth and check if there isn't any water in the gear box, I would try to offer 350? Look at the end of the auger and see if starting point and cutters are in good shape. If they are good shape it could be worth a little more.

/ Identify this PHD please. #4  
   / Identify this PHD please. #5  
Who cares? Augers are commodity items. Gearboxes are commodity items. PTO shafts are commodity items. The only thing special is the frame & that's just a voucher pieces of pipe & a few bolts.

A quality Leinbach or what not is going to be better than a County Line, but not by much. I wouldn't get a used PHD of any quality unless you can get it for cheaper than a new County Line or are going to be using it commercially.

I was happy with my old Leinbach as I would have been with any 3pt PHD. Ended up rebuilding the frame to be Quick Hitch compatible. It had some downforce & required a hydraulic toplink. It sold with the tractor. I replaced it with a hydraulic SSQA PHD that was over 2k. I do side work with the tractor so could justify a commercial class implement though.

/ Identify this PHD please. #6  
I will echo what others said. I’m not sure of the brand but I wouldn’t pay $500 for a used one. New is not much more than that.

/ Identify this PHD please. #7  
If it was a Danuser, you would be getting a bargain at 500.

/ Identify this PHD please. #8  
If it was a Danuser, you would be getting a bargain at 500.
Ya, they are a cut above. But unless you are doing serious commercial work they are way overkill. Most commercial work will be with a hydraulic SSQA unit anyway. $2.5k for a hydraulic SSQA unit gets you down force, reverse & much easier hookup. I doubt the beefy Danhuser PTO units go for much less new.

/ Identify this PHD please. #9  
I added a hydraulic down force kit to my Speeco brand phd. Digs thru anything on my place. I wore out an 8” auger and ground the teeth into nothing.

the replacement auger and teeth solved that problem. Most parts are interchangeable it seems. I know that all different brand augers seem to have same mountings and dimensions.... or at least the ones I was looking at did. My replacement auger was from tractor supply country line.

/ Identify this PHD please.
Thanks for the replies... I found a Danuser F8 with 4” and 12” augers... picked it up for $700... very good condition... I’ll be poking holes in rocky soil (lots of shale)... the guy I got it from used the 4” as a pilot auger in his rocky soil...I’ve read where that’s not necessarily a good idea... but I’ll try anything once...

the CountyLine with 9” and 12” augers was close to$800 in my neck of the woods... the CL augers don’t look as well built as Danuser... that and I figure I’ll get my $700 back when it’s time to sell...